Longest OCI youve done with Penzzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longest OCI youve done with Penzzoil Ultra? Ive heard its not supposed to be used for more than 4000 miles. Is that true? Would you use it for 7500 or 10000?

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Longest OCI youve done with Penzzoil Ultra? Ive heard its not supposed to be used for more than 4000 miles. Is that true? Would you use it for 7500 or 10000?

Well it's been in my charger for 7500 miles so far. Whatever you've heads about 4000 miles is absurd. Its pennzoils best product.
If it can't do 10000 miles why even buy it.
I'm running it til its warm enough to change it which is likely April or so.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And platinum is a tier lower than ultra.

Ok. My bad.

I havent used synthetic since I got my subie at 123k. I havent paid much attention to the "synthetic" threads. It was a waste of money. I had to top it off so much I was basically changing the oil every month.

Ive gone 10k on ultra with no issues, primarily highway miles, with a fram ultra filter. It is pennzoils highest end oil, platinum is a lower tier oil.

The longest OCI with synthetic oil, not with PU, in LS400 was 12mo/16-17k miles, in E430 was 12mo/15k miles. Oil filter for E430 was Mann and low end filter for LS400. No UOA was done for either car.

In general there are a lot of other factors that can determine how far an oil can be pushed. Driving habits, environment, current condition of the engine, etc. It's possible your situation might be more unique than others. If you really want to know try to quantify it with data and take UOA's at some intervals (7.5k, 10k, etc)

In my 2007 Ford Focus, I've pushed Pennzoil Ultra to 15k with UOA's done at 10k and 15k. My driving style is pretty easy, mostly highway miles, with a daily round trip commute of 45 miles in Colorado(-15F to 95F)

I courier for a living and run PP 5w20 somewhere around 7K. Considering my little 1.6L Korean car 12' Accent only hold 3qts and 120mL of Liquimoly Mos2, I figure thats about as far as I want to push it. Just having the oil changed gives me a buzzing sensation, I can "feel" the horsepower being refilled

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The longest OCI with synthetic oil, not with PU, in LS400 was 12mo/16-17k miles, in E430 was 12mo/15k miles. Oil filter for E430 was Mann and low endda filter for LS400. No UOA was done for either car.

Since an E430 takes 8 quarts, I don't think it's a fair comparison to a 5 or even 6 quart sump. There's a lot more additive in 8 quarts.

Originally Posted By: driver123
Ive gone 10k on ultra with no issues, primarily highway miles,

How long does it take you to put 10k on the car?

The platinum and ultra are close to being the same oil. Ultra has a 100 ppm more zinc, has alittle boron in it, has a lower NOACK but still the platinum is less than 10%, and the platinum has a higher VI than the ultra.
I personally do not consider the platinum a lower tier oil than the ultra myself. They are both excellent. And they should both easily take you to 7500 or 10k miles.

Good UOA at 7,800 miles in a Volvo with Ultra. Great choice if you're considering it. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2288158/Pennz_Ultra_Euro_5W40,_7848_mi#Post2288158

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And platinum is a tier lower than ultra.

Ok. My bad.

No biggie. We all started somewhere right

You can do 7500 on the PP or Ultra in just about any vehicle and be safe. That is why I use it. I have female drivers and if they "miss" an OCI (5000) their engine won't be trashed.

I read somewhere that pennzoil recommends you change it at like 4 because of how well it cleans. I may have read it wrong tho.

SOPUS basically says to follow the oil change interval as stipulated in your car's owner manual.

Not sure where you saw the 4K recommendation.

The furthest I've gone on ultra was 6K miles, but that's mainly because I don't drive much - it took me 16 months and 2 winters to get there. You can find my UOAs in the UOA forum.

If I was doing more driving, I'd have no problem going 10K miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back