VW 068 115 561B Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked-up a VW 068 115 561B oil filter from my local VW dealer today. The cost was approximately $9.50.

This is the "over-sized" filter that is now supposed to be used on the 1.8T engine. It is my understanding, that because of it's size, it increases total oil capacity and partially addresses the sludge issue with these engines.

On the filter it is stamped made in the USA. Does anyone have an idea who manufactuers this filter? Is there a "generic" equivilant?

Yeah, use whatever filter you want. Unless they specifically state that you must use only that filter, and supply it to you for free under the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, you are free to use whatever filter you like.

The OEM Mann filters are typically made in Germany, I think? The old Mann number is W719/30; the new one is W940/25. It's my understanding that the W940/25 fits older VW diesels, so it's not really new, so-to-speak. The other OEM is Mahle, but I'm not sure of the part numbers. I think Mahle OC105 is the W719/30 equivalent?

There are a few quality substitutes that can be found locally that are even a little bigger than the newer VW filter recommended. Among them are Napa Gold 1333(Wix), Wix 51333, and PureOne PL40316. The PureOne filter is a Mann filter, which is W950/4 if you are looking for the Mann specifically. It looks like that filter fits a lot of Volvos.

I'm on the last of my ten pack of W719/30's, so I've been looking into this. These filters were made in Germany.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Yeah, use whatever filter you want. Unless they specifically state that you must use only that filter, and supply it to you for free under the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, you are free to use whatever filter you like.

Not exactly-
If you use a size that isn't "approved" (even though ALL the other specs are the same) by the filter manufacturer, they would have a way to get out of any warranty claims.
IF they would use that as an excuse?? Who knows??

My old Audi generally would use a Mann 719/5. Since I've been going long oci's, I've been using the 719/30 (actually the oem VW/Audi stamped version). My A4 (30V V6) uses the larger -J long-life filter. I'm trying it on my old Audi since it's a little larger (but it's $10). The thing that bothers me is that the "new" diesel filter replacement is not of the new 2yr/30km type filters that VW/Audi have been going to. I wonder if that will be a problem for long oci's? I'd use the diesel filter if I had confidence in it's long oci use.

I prefer buying Mann, Mahle, (German) Bosch, or Hengst. The quality is absolutely tops. There are better ways to save a coupl'a bucks.

Ken

fyi..there's an official TSB (17-04-01) out now that specifies that part number (068 115 561B) as the filter to be used for all 1.8T Passats.

I just opened one up for fun and the ADBV has Parker on it. I just had another look on it and there is an XND USA on the filter as well. Perhaps it wasn't German quality after all.

The reason I opened it up was that for the first time after 380,000 km I switched to synthetic 0w40. After 7500 km there was nothing to be seen in the oil filter. Well, the engine is diesel so there's nothing but black to be seen. No sludge or chunks of stuff at all.

Steve

Does anybody know which filter would have the best ADBV in this application? The filters in my engine appear to be prone to syphoning because they are always 1/4 low when I remove them. If I don't let my engine idle for a while in the morning I can hear the lifters get a whipping from the cams for the first 100 feet.
frown.gif

Watching the oil pressure light blink for a few seconds after every startup is also getting pretty old, I have to rev the engine a bit to get the alternator going so I'd like the pressure to come up sooner. I don't rev the engine until the oil light goes out.

I am currently using a white WIX filter. It seems to be equal to OEM for noise.

Thanks, Steve

clack CLACK clack CL CL CLACK
pat.gif
I think I need a preoiler. The noise is downright embarrassing.
frown.gif
Anybody make a filter with an electronic ADBV? These rubber contraptions just aren't cutting it.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
I just opened one up for fun and the ADBV has Parker on it. I just had another look on it and there is an XND USA on the filter as well. Perhaps it wasn't German quality after all.

The reason I opened it up was that for the first time after 380,000 km I switched to synthetic 0w40. After 7500 km there was nothing to be seen in the oil filter. Well, the engine is diesel so there's nothing but black to be seen. No sludge or chunks of stuff at all.

Steve

Wix seems to be using the same Parker ADBV as well.

I order these oversized oil filters from "blauparts.com" - an Independent Audi place up in WI. Order three at a time and they are only $5.95 each. I can use these filters on both my 2.3L, Audi 100 and Audi TT w/ the 1.8L turbo.

The Mann filters are about the best I've seen in terms of quality. Just look at the number and precision cut of the threads and the absence of burrs. The wall thickness of the canisters is very impressive as well.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by SJUMBA:
I just picked-up a VW 068 115 561B oil filter from my local VW dealer today. The cost was approximately $9.50.

This is the "over-sized" filter that is now supposed to be used on the 1.8T engine. It is my understanding, that because of it's size, it increases total oil capacity and partially addresses the sludge issue with these engines.

On the filter it is stamped made in the USA. Does anyone have an idea who manufactuers this filter? Is there a "generic" equivilant?

Champion Laboratories has the contract for VW/Porche/Audi and builds the OEM filter for the engine plants in North America. That's why it says Made in the USA.

sounds good, but squeezing the older smaller filter down past everything on my 2001 TT 225Q is tough enough, is this filter just longer, fatter or both

Originally Posted By: benjy
sounds good, but squeezing the older smaller filter down past everything on my 2001 TT 225Q is tough enough, is this filter just longer, fatter or both

Dude, 13 years later
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back