M/T 2014 truck of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy Silverado. Granted, Motor Trend hasn't announced it yet, but I think we all know it's a foregone conclusion.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Wasnt it the Ram?

Yep

2014-Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-winner.jpg

Is it made of Titanium? Because Titanium is better than Aluminum right?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Wasnt it the Ram?

Yep

Well color me embarrassed. I thought the Ram won last year. When was it announced?

I just saw a commercial on the Silverado taking the MT ToTY Award when I was watching the Olympic Closing Ceramony Sunday Night! Hmmmmm!

Bought and paid for by Chrapsler. Nothing new in the Ram and yet it gets ToTY because "it has a Diesel"? Really?

It should have been the GM trucks because they are new, with new power plants (V6 especially), and are all around better trucks than the Ram.

If anything, the whole "test" was them grasping at straws as the contenders were very weak.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Bought and paid for by Chrapsler. Nothing new in the Ram and yet it gets ToTY because "it has a Diesel"? Really?

It should have been the GM trucks because they are new, with new power plants (V6 especially), and are all around better trucks than the Ram.

If anything, the whole "test" was them grasping at straws as the contenders were very weak.

Ford builds a heckuva truck. Dodge and the hemi is always a sure bet. I haven't owned a newer chev truck so I can't really say too much on them since I haven't looked into them at all.

Ram won 2014 Motor Trend Truck of the Year.

Chevy won 2014 North American Truck of the Year.

I was actually very surprised that Motor Trend snubbed GM on the 2014. (Granted I haven't driven either of the 2014s)

The Tundra is really the better truck but the people at MT are afraid to award Toyota the award because their GM/Ford/Chrysler $$$ payoff will dry up.

Originally Posted By: Doog
The Tundra is really the better truck but the people at MT are afraid to award Toyota the award because their GM/Ford/Chrysler $$$ payoff will dry up.

I prefer F150 myself but am totally enamored by the Tundra. BIG question is can you quantify how Tundra is "better" than F150, or Silverado? For me I like a few of the Tundra features and design but end of day the F150 overall appeals to me more. Yes, none of my statements are anything but a little experience with F150 and personal opinion.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the 4 link ( or 5?) coil suspension on the light duty rams. Smacks of GM full size B-body) frames to give a nice controlled ride - plus, you can add in coil air bags easily if you want for helpers.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: Doog

I prefer F150 myself but am totally enamored by the Tundra. BIG question is can you quantify how Tundra is "better" than F150, or Silverado? For me I like a few of the Tundra features and design but end of day the F150 overall appeals to me more. Yes, none of my statements are anything but a little experience with F150 and personal opinion.

Its all personal opinion. actually I would probably buy an F-150 because they usually give better deals than Toyota. But F-150 is my #2 pick. Ram is #3 and all GM is #5438
lol.gif

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that Ram won over Chevy. 8 speed auto, 3.0L diesel (26MPG for 4x4 crew), air ride suspension for better highway mileage and off road clearance. That's some pretty cool stuff. I can tell you that I had a chance to sit in one and the dial shifter for the tranny is whack. It would definitely take some getting used to (reminds me of the old push button transmissions - LOL).

With my off road hobby, I have friends with every one of the full size offerings. We have campfire talk about the pro's and con's of each. Everyone seems pretty happy with what they have, except for the guy with the Nissan who has had rear end issues a couple of times. That should go away when they come out with the 5.0L Cummins though, as they'll upgrade the rear axle too.

Why did they win? Other than using a ZF gear box and borrowing a diesel from Fiats parts bin, and air suspension from the Mercedes parts bin they have nothing really new. Its the same old truck. Just wait a few years until those Airmatic struts start leaking at $500 a pop.

I would think the newest design this year is the upcoming F150.

Toyota never wins because they have decided to sell on their name.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Toyota does wrong, but I really wanted a GM when I got serious about getting a truck. But at the time GM put the screws to whoever bought anything other than the biggest V8's--you got saddled with yesteryear's transmission. That too was selling on their name IMO.

MT has zero credibility here. That TOY is a nonsensical award, I sure hope that isn't what folks are looking at when they go to buy a truck...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Question: How fast is that truck going, and how much body lean would it have if it made that aggressive of a turn at that speed? Are they indicating you should zip around the lumberyard that fast?

How much psi in those times? I don't think I see a bit of sidwall bulge either. Methinks this photo is doctored!

Originally Posted By: supton
Methinks this photo is doctored!

Well, of course. It's not only the female models that get photoshopped these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back