How often do you guys go WOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I WOT almost every chance I get, no not to redline but usually up around 5K RPMs...

True story happened just two days ago...

I had the misfortune of riding 450+ miles with my sister and her driving will keep you clutching the seat... No not from speed, but constant over correcting, hitting the brake, following a slow vehicle when the two are the only ones in half a mile...

Finally I'd had enough and took the wheel on way back home with maybe 150mi to go... Pulling away from the rest stop it was WOT to merge into traffic, of course she says "I never do that"... To that I said "hey this would be a nice vehicle(Nissan Murano)---- if it had a motor, has pitiful acceleration"... To that she says F-U... Anyway I had that thing WOT probably a dozen times on on the way home passing and keeping up with traffic... My wife who used to say my driving scared her, text a couple friends saying she was so relieved I was driving, now she could go to sleep...

Not sure. When I drive the Camry with its hyper-tip-in, I'm guessing far more often than I think. But I don't think I've hit redline in that; actually, I'm the only one who takes it to 4k. I think redline is at 6k.

My truck I will occasionally give it the beans, like once a month. As an auto it'll shift close to redline. Is kinda fun, actually, that little V8 makes a nice noise, and 310hp for nearly 3 tons actually moves better than I think it would.

My TDi sees full throttle these days always. I don't redline it often, but ever since I chipped and turbo'd it I've found it flat pulls to at least 4,500rpm (redline is 4,700). Oh it's nice... About 140hp and 3,000lb. Bang the gears, enjoy high 40's mpg. I don't think I drove it that hard before the turbo went on at 251k but it's get flat out hard driving since--and it's up at 290k now.

Life is short, but cars have even shorter lifespan. Might as well wear out all the parts of the car before it rusts away.

Mine sees WOT quite regularly when conditions permit. In the summer, it's often a few times per day. And yeah, that's WOT up to the shift points at about 5200 - 5300 rpm (right around where the factory rev limiter was).

Extremely rare especially when the engine is running :) I have gone WOT with the scanner connected to check the TPS (KeyOnEgineOFF) few times though. Does that count?

Seriously, some of those "slow traffic only" lane on I-84 (in CT) invite me to go WOT to get away from the bunch of cars clogging the middle and the fast lane. Funnily, nobody else goes in the slow lane which gives me the opportunity to open up the van.

Last edited:
My 5.3 GM truck sees WOT mabye once or twice a month. Figure it gives it some exercise. It and a 3800 Camaro I once had doesn't even allow redline, both shift at 5000 no matter how hard you floor it. The 4L60E in both must be limited to 5K as an input speed I suppose.

Depends on which sled I'm in. In the Club Sport, '02 and MS3 I go WOT almost every time I'm behind the wheel. The rest? Not too often. The S3 is a bit of a handful when I twist the carbs wide open.

My WRX gets redline runs (WOT and not WOT) quite often (I never let the engine bounce in redline though). It maybe multiple times a day to maybe once a week depending on the trip and traffic conditions. I try to be as safe and reasonable as possible because hitting triple digit speeds with this car is quite easy if the driver isn't paying attention.

The turbo does not start boosting until around +3,000 RPMS with redline at 6,500 RPMS. Subaru attached a turbo to the engine for a reason and I don't shy away using it. It would be such a waste not to run this engine hard. The EJ255/EJ257 engine was designed to be run hard.

I have put 41,500 miles on the car since new. The engine consumes no perceivable amount of oil at my 7,500 OCI. The engine runs clean, it has a very quiet valvetrain and smoothly purrs the signature boxer rumble at idle.

I'll occasionally give my SUV and cars WOT and runs to redline. My streebike gets WOT and runs to redline, pretty much every time I ride it. I just have to carefully pick where I do those runs.

No witnesses.
grin.gif

GTI - often, because it's fun... and because without frequent Italian tune-ups I'm afraid the carbon will eat my intake valves

xB - often, because it only has about 100 hp, and if I don't go full throttle merging on the highway is dangerous

Camry - almost never, with the V-6 it loafs along fine, and there's no joy in it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Just out of curiosity, wondering how often you guys give your car a WOT run or two? I did two WOT runs in the Accord tonight getting up to speed, I always feel guilty afterward like I just did my engine and transmission a huge disservice
33.gif
The engine was up to temp though. I do it once or twice every 3 months or so, not like I plan to do it, you just have the urge to punch it every now and then ya know? And when I cant hold off any longer I go for it. How about you?

Are you kidding?! A Honda engine was designed and built to rev. and live long doing it! You're keeping deposits down, exercising the valvetrain, etc. Remember if you don't get on it once in a while some of the components of the VTEC system aren't being used.

TSX: WOT 2 or 3 times a week
S2000: WOT several times per drive (Mar-Nov)
MDX: WOT 1 or 2 times a month if/when I drive it

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Just out of curiosity, wondering how often you guys give your car a WOT run or two? I did two WOT runs in the Accord tonight getting up to speed, I always feel guilty afterward like I just did my engine and transmission a huge disservice
33.gif
The engine was up to temp though. I do it once or twice every 3 months or so, not like I plan to do it, you just have the urge to punch it every now and then ya know? And when I cant hold off any longer I go for it. How about you?

Are you kidding?! A Honda engine was designed and built to rev. and live long doing it! You're keeping deposits down, exercising the valvetrain, etc. Remember if you don't get on it once in a while some of the components of the VTEC system aren't being used.

TSX: WOT 2 or 3 times a week
S2000: WOT several times per drive (Mar-Nov)
MDX: WOT 1 or 2 times a month if/when I drive it

^ what he said; you can't kill a Honda engine by running it near redline

Expedition:

Any time I pass or merge onto the highway. It is north of 6,000lbs with 260HP.

M5:

In the summer, several times a week. But I don't know if that is "true" WOT sometimes, because when I have the DSC on, it throttles back a lot due to wheelspin.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Mykl

Why would this be only limited to Honda engines?
I really can't think of any semi-modern engine, including diesels that would suffer from running near red line.

I didn't suggest that the statement was limited to Honda engines?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Mykl

Why would this be only limited to Honda engines?
I really can't think of any semi-modern engine, including diesels that would suffer from running near red line.

You are 100% correct, it's not. I was simply addressing the OP.
My point to him was that Honda does much more than they have to with their engines (many benefit from advanced alloys, forged internals, etc.) and because of that they tend to be extremely durable for long periods at higher RPM. I'm NOT saying they're necessarily better than X, Y, Z, but if nothing else, Honda is an exemplary engine-maker and that's a point which cannot be argued.

Just out of curiosity, wondering how often you guys give your car a WOT run or two?

Just about every time I drive alone. Italian tune-up... gots to do it to clear out the cobwebs.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back