05 focus, low beams flicker and flash on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter was driving 05 Ford Focus tonight, when the low beam headlights started to flicker, then went out. She flipped on the high beams and they came on fine with no problems so she drove home like that (sorry to the folks she blinded). Back home she and my wife turned the low beams on again (I am at work) and report the low beams flash on and off somewhat rhythmically, at about 1 second intervals. No other electrical loads were affected, no CEL. Any ideas where to start when I get home Monday? Circuit breaker?

I suppose I'd unplug one headlamp then the other and see if it does it with just one. If so, could be weak breaker-- they're thermal. While you're at it, unplug both and see if there is still current. Grab the harness and tug on it to check for chafing or any other reason to trip the breaker.

I'd have to see a wiring schematic to see if that breaker feeds the high beams, though.

Battery and/or alternator

I've had three of this generation focus...that's usualy the culprit. test those two and I'm sure one/both will be problematic

I thought high beams and low beams were always on seperate circuit breakers, just for the reason that if one failed you still had the other (as in this case). But that is a good idea, to unplug one and see if the problem stops. I'll start there. Thanks

I doubt the battery or alternator, no other electrical loads were affected, as in no other lights flickered, ventilation fan speed did not change. My daughter is pretty savy, she would have noticed if anything other than the low beams was affected.

Last edited:
When headlight switches get old they can do this. Next time the lights go out, wiggle the light switch, but do not turn the light off or the high beams on. If light flickers on and off as you do this, it may be your switch.

After playing with the turn signal switch, I discovered the low beams would always stay on if I pulled the TS handle towards me. I replaced the TS switch and that fixed the problem. $23.99 at AutoZone with lifetime warrantee and about 15 minutes to change. I called the Ford dealer just to see how much they would have charged and they quoted me $259 with a 2 year warrantee. They said 1.1 hours labor, but it only takes removing two screws to separate the upper and lower plastic steering column covers, lifting up the upper half and unclipping the switch and sliding it up, then disconnect the wiring harness and reverse the procedure to install. 10 to 15 minute job max.

Dealer was quoting book time.

Good for you, diagnosing and replacing the part on your own.

Also thanks for updating the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back