What ATF Fluid To Use In A 2001 Ford Escape V6 A/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons girl friend has a 2001 ford escape v6 4wd with 150,000 miles what atf is everyone using. Should i go with the motorcraft? My brother used to own a transmission shop and he said anything dex 3 but he is a believer in any oil will do...

There is no need to use Motorcraft.

AAP has Castrol ATF on sale, including Mercon V. $4/qt

Maxlife is also very popular on here and will work fine for Mercon V.

Another good value-to-dollar ratio is Mag 1 Synthetic Low-Vis ATF, also $4/qt by the case of 6 on Amazon. Part #64092

Whatever it says on the dipstick is what you use.

Either way, the above fluids I mentioned before should work.

If you buy the Castrol fluid at AAP:
Get Domestic Multi-Vehicle if you need Dexron III
Get Mercon V if yo uneed Mercon V

Factory Spec is Mercon V
Your's isn't covered under the TSB to blend 50/50 with Syn fluid,
You may use that too if you wish.
You are under a TSB to install a Cooler bypass kit.
If you want to bother, its Ford part # 5L8Z-7K177-AA
TSB # 04-14-1

Mobil 1 Syn, Maxlife, Transmax Mercon V; Which is BOGO @ AAP now will all work well.

Be careful here. If you have the Owner's Manual is probably says Mercon is specified - it is on my 2005 anyway with specific instructions not to use Mercon V. Since then, Motorcraft has reformulated Mercon V to be compatible with this tranmission and Motorcraft no longer makes plain Mercon.

So the question is are other manufacturer's Mercon V products compatible with your transmission or is it the orginal, non-compatible Mercon V formula?

Under the circumstances, I'd either get Motorcraft Mercon V from Ford dealer or use a name brand Mercon, like Castrol. Perhaps these fears aren't well-founded, but I'd stay away from MaxLife after it was found not to meet manufacturers specs by the PQIA and avoid ATF products that try to be too "universal".

The CD4E in the Escape doesn't have a great reputation for durability, so fluid choice should be considered carefully.

Quote:
Motorcraft (Ford) has reformulated Mercon V to be compatible with this tranmission and Motorcraft no longer makes plain Mercon.

So the question is are other manufacturer's Mercon V products compatible with your transmission or is it the orginal, non-compatible Mercon V formula?
Don't the car makers, Ford included, require that every licensed product be made to the newest spec? I think so. All brands of licensed MerconV fluid will be to the current spec.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Be careful here. If you have the Owner's Manual is probably says Mercon is specified - it is on my 2005 anyway with specific instructions not to use Mercon V. Since then, Motorcraft has reformulated Mercon V to be compatible with this tranmission and Motorcraft no longer makes plain Mercon.

Under the circumstances, I'd either get Motorcraft Mercon V from Ford dealer or use a name brand Mercon, like Castrol. Perhaps these fears aren't well-founded, but I'd stay away from MaxLife after it was found not to meet manufacturers specs by the PQIA and avoid ATF products that try to be too "universal".

The CD4E in the Escape doesn't have a great reputation for durability, so fluid choice should be considered carefully.

That TSB/Thinking was superseded in '07 when they reformulated Mercon V to be backwards compatible in ALL Mercon circumstances. If your worried, I'd have used Maxlife. Its closer to the older Dex Merc while still being a better syn fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back