Recommendation for 2014 KIA Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

The time has come to downsize from our Toyota Sienna to a 2014 Optima. The 2.4L GDI calls for 5w-20, but I was wondering what y'all think about a 0w-20 for this vehicle. Manufacturer calls for 5k OCI, but I was wanting to simplify things and use the same oil as my Civic (M1 0w-20). The driving habits consist of a couple of short trips per day, about 8 city miles each, with some good 12 miles of highway driving 2-3 times per week.

My questions are, how strict is Kia with their oil types? I've also heard they strongly recommend the Kia brand filters. Does anyone know the facts? Can I continue to use any 0w with a P1 (or similar) filter? Thanks for any info!

I don't see why you can't use a 0w20, but if it's not mentioned in the manual, I'd just use the 5w20. You won't notice a difference anyways.

As for the filters, I do recommend the Kia/Hyundai. They're very well built and I got a 6 pack for about 5.50/each.

Do they still list 5w30 as acceptable in the manual? They do in our 2012. If they do I'd want a 5w30 for a GDI engine. I'm not all that impressed with the UOA's on the Hyundai/KIA engines on 5w20 in general though, I'll be converting ours to 5w30 soon.

If it's a cartridge oil filter you can use any quality filter without issue, I've been using Napa Golds with great success. If it still takes a spin on the OEM filters are probably the best bet.

I've never had to deal with them for warranty issues our KIA has been flawless thus far, but I hear they can be sticklers on warranty stuff so whatever you do don't deviate from whats in the manual. There is no "0w" anywhere in ours.

OCI is 7500 miles or 3750 for severe duty according to manual. OEM filter is almost mandatory for this engine. There's a service bulletin about it. Mine has been consuming about a quart every 4000 miles. I'm trying a run of PU for the low noack. If the consumption doesn't stop or slow down, I'll be going back to PYB. Manual specs 5w20,5w30 or 10w30. 0w20 might be a bit noiser.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car, I just bought the same car two weeks ago. I plan on running 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Mine has been consuming about a quart every 4000 miles. I'm trying a run of PU for the low noack. If the consumption doesn't stop or slow down, I'll be going back to PYB.

Interesting, I believe consumption is somewhat unusual for Hyundai/KIA's. How many miles? Maxlife can help with consumption if you haven't tried it.

Quote:
I've also heard they strongly recommend the Kia brand filters. Does anyone know the facts?

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-2013-xm-s...ftermarket.html
http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Article/...spx?categoryId=

You can use anything you want--you own the car. Kia can claim that engine damage was caused by an out of spec oil filter and not pay for engine damage (if any). I know that WIX (NAPA) filters have given good results, buy why ask for a hassle. Kia filters don't cost more than any decent aftermarket brand filter. Engine makers do not publish the specs for their oil filters. Filter makers reverse engineer OEM filters, then either make a version to match or pick a version from their existing inventory that they feel will probably be close enough. If the aftermarket oil filter causes engine damage, the filter maker is always responsible for that damage, but it is the car owner who has the fight on their hands.

The engine makers publish the specs for the required oil, and you can use any oil that meets the spec, not just the car's branded oil (if there is one). Because we don't know the specs for the oil filter, we don't know if we're using one that actually meets the specs. Magnusson-Moss says that the specs must be met. If we don't know if we're meeting them, we don't know if we have the warranty coverage.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Mine has been consuming about a quart every 4000 miles. I'm trying a run of PU for the low noack. If the consumption doesn't stop or slow down, I'll be going back to PYB.

Interesting, I believe consumption is somewhat unusual for Hyundai/KIA's. How many miles? Maxlife can help with consumption if you haven't tried it.

65k on mine. I got first model year of the GDI. I dumped the factory fill at 1200 miles. I hope that is not why its consuming
frown.gif
. I haven't noticed any obvious leaks. Car runs like a top.

Maxlife you say. Forgot about that one. I had good results in a previous vehicle. I'll keep that one in mind.

Quote:
2014 KIA OPTIMA 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code [7]

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SM
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLMQT)
Performance OE 5W20 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEMQT) Above 0 F......10W-30 [1]
All TEMPS......5W-20, 5W-30 [1]
Automatic Transmission,A6LF2......SLF [2]
Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT)
Fluids
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [3]
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [3]
[1] For better fuel economy , it is recommended to use
SAE 5W-20.
[2] Kia Genuine ATF SP-IV or equivalent.
[3] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3
FILTERS:
Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K20) [1]
[1] Replaces the Ea15k46, which will still work for this vehicle

I'd be using 5W-30 if that were my car.

OCI is 7500 miles or 3750 for severe duty according to manual. OEM filter is almost mandatory for this engine. There's a service bulletin about it. Mine has been consuming about a quart every 4000 miles. I'm trying a run of PU for the low noack. If the consumption doesn't stop or slow down, I'll be going back to PYB. Manual specs 5w0,5w30 or 10w30. 0w20 might b
e a bit noiser.

I believe the TSB you're speaking of was for 2006 or 2009 prior to the Theta II engine.
I've used Fram, P1, and WIX with no issues in 2012 sonata 2.4L. I prefer 5w-30 due to the fuel dilution with the GDI engine. Currently have a M1 filter on my 2013 Sonata with no issue. 2012 totaled.

Last edited:
I run qsud 5w30 or castol syntec 5w30 with a either a pur1 filter or kn or fram ultra. The 2012 veloster di engine in mine doesn't tick or make any noise with these filters. Kia cannot make u use there filters. That's just them trying to take your money. Ive used the oem filter from Hyundai that the dealer gave me and that's how hi judged for myself what the car should sound like. But like I said ive used other filters besides Hyundai and the cars fine. NO TICKING SOUND. Everyone hear says they like the Hyundai kia oil filters and I gotta admit they do seem heavy and well built but too each there own. I personally never had a problem with any filter ever on any car or truck. I always change the oil at 3,750 severe service interval because I do believe the di engine does have a fuel dilution problem. I can smell what seems to be fuel in the oil when I change it. But unless u get a uoa thers really no way to tell for sure. I have 0 oil consumption so far.

Last edited:
0w-20 is fine and will not cause warranty concerns. The manual probably don't list it because Kia/Hyundai makes no mention of synthetic oil. 0w-xx is always going to be synthetic.

I find it interesting that Kia/Hyundai still list SM/GF-4 and do not recommend synthetic for the Turbo engines.

Frequent oil changes with whatever meets specs or above, conv, blend or syn. I've used Purolator oil filters on and off without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back