replaced raidiator...still smell coolant..no leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the subject speaks for itself. I own a 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0. Had a new radiator put in it 3 weeks ago. No leaks, all clamps are working and no moisture around any of the hoses but when I shut the car off after a drive I still smell coolant on the outside of the car. When I open the hood, it confirms it because that is definitely what I’m smelling but nothings leaking and I don’t know what to do. Any ideas? Would it take 3 weeks for residual to burn off?

Coolant can stick around and stink for a while. If your Sentra has splash shields underneath, it can puddle up and take a while for the water component to evaporate and /or for the coolant to get splashed out of any crevices/nooks/crannies from driving. As long as the level stays normal and no visible coolant is leaking, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Well that was my thought to..but I’ve had the car on several highway trips since the radiator was replaced 3 weeks ago. Would that not have burn it off by now?

Thought of that too...so I been checking the oil and it looks fine...no discoloration at all.

Take off the shields and go to a manual car wash and spray the engine compartment with soap and rinse thoroughly.

Let it dry and check for any new coolant leaks.

Sometimes the hose clamps need re-tightening or replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back