2002 Suzuki XL7 Tie Rod/ Wheel Help???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit a Huge Chicago pothole in this snowy season we been having.

I actually made my wheel Toe out.

At first I said might be the tie rod so I replaced them. But ots still toed out and if intry to adjust it it reaches its peak, and still toed out.

I need help on where else to look to atleast get it.centered so I can.go get it aligned. I read online that to also look at the shock/strut but can anyone verify tbis? Where should I begin.

Any help is appreciated.

What do you mean tie rod adjustment is at its peak? Do you mean it is at the limit of adjustability?

I would take it into a shop to get the alignment checked. If there is a problem with alignment, I would get them to check for play in both the inner and outer tie rod ends. I don't think suspension would be damaged as much as much as steering components in a pothole.

The shop would be able to tell you better,

Yeah you bent something if you ran out of adjusting thread. Get the collision specs and start measuring corner to corner.

I see no damage to anything. Everything seems ok just dont know where to start looking. And the pothole was covered due to snow. Smh

Will this be a deep pocket repair?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Sounds like the LCA is bent - takes a lot to bend the axle vs stamped metal. Do you see damage to the lca?

^^This^^ On most modern cars the lower control arm is a sacrificial piece designed to absorb impacts and reduce frame damage. It is most likely bent out of whack. Usually easy to change, much easier than changing a pressed in ball joint.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Sounds like the LCA is bent - takes a lot to bend the axle vs stamped metal. Do you see damage to the lca?

If it's not the LCA could be whatever it bolts to, eg the frame or subframe. Saturn S-series are great for tweaking the subframe instead of bending the LCA.

Frames are deliberately weakened in spots to give in a front end accident. Though I'd hope they could have them take potholes.

A snowy pothole shouldn't be that bad, though I'd hate to skid sideways into one and have it stop my skid.

Originally Posted By: JAM25
I see no damage to anything. Everything seems ok just dont know where to start looking. And the pothole was covered due to snow. Smh

Will this be a deep pocket repair?

The paint will have peeled off of the back side of the control arm in a silver dollar sized area where it is bent. Just eyeballing its shape usually won't work because they are so unevenly shaped to begin with.

I would guess $140 for the LCA, $100 labor, $80 alignment, maybe $320 total?

I inspected the lower control arm I see no unusual bent. I compared it to the other wheel and I dnt see nothing different. Suzukis are weird.

At first I thought it was the outer tie rod cause the bolt got slighty bent. Bought the piece (same one). This is really frustrating

Can it be the camber? Im just looking it up on youtube and I feel if maybe that gets adjusted. The tie rod end.can fit properly

I wonder if your front subframe is quite rusty and bent? It's what the control arms are mounted to.
There was a recall for Trackers/vitara's for replacing it. I had mine done mostly to get free labor to get to the rusty oil pan. I suspect the XL7 used the same part but maybe not as I think they came from Japan? Vitaras and Trackers where made in Ontario.
I assume you had a good look at the steering rod? If I recall it has a bend or two to begin with.
Getting the subframe replaced won't be cheap and you may want to get a quote atleast from a GM dealer as they should have had some practice at it!

Unless your car is extremely rusty....there is no way you bent an older Suzuki control arm or frame from a pot hole.

They were built for third world markets without roads...

A busted rim I could see....but not that.

Did you change inner and outer? Did they give you the correct parts?

Suzuki-forums.com would be more help.

Your arms should be beefier than mine, and mine are HUGE compared to the vehicle. Similar girth to a 3/4 ton truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back