Do I want the M1-110 or the M1-104 for the 03 Civic EX? Confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

Well I did decide I wanted the M1 filter for the 03 Civic EX and I did some searching and found out about how Honda is using a new smaller filter. The guy at the parts counter said I needed an M1-110 and I checked on here and that was one that could be used. I also saw that the MI-104 was also one that could be used (I think its the same one as on my Jeep?) I was pretty sure I read they are 100%, no questions asked interchangeable and even Honda says so.

I also saw the M1-105 and M1-107 mentioned but was immediately ruled those out because I saw where it had different specs for the bypass.

So what i'm asking is should I go ahead and get a M1-104 or get the smaller M1-110? I don't want to have any fit issues. I may not end up changing it the Honda dealer in town will do it for 10 bucks if I bring my own oil and filter. I don't have a car lift and I can't fit under the car.

Is there any advantage to one or the other? Improvement coldstart with the smaller? or is the M1-104 better all around?

Thanks for any help or advice,
Seth

PS- I'm going with the M1 0w20!

[ August 26, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Seth_TJ ]

quote:

Originally posted by VQ35DE:
Use the M1-105 because it's the largest, the bypass psi will be OK.

It if was my vehicle I probably would but in this case it doesn't belong to me.

So I need to either get the M1-104 or the M1-110.

thanks for input

I just spoke with Mobil 1 filter department. I was told the M1-104 and the M1-110 are very close in filter media area and capacity and the filtering effeciency is exactly the same. He said the M1-104 is fatter and shorter and the M1-110 is thinner but longer. So they are close.

He told me that after 2000 Honda switched to the M1-110 due to the fact that the 104's may not seal properly on new equipment or something along those lines.

I have an 02 civic EX with mt. I tried out that combination after break in. The m1 filters work well, there is no doubt, as does the m1 0w20. Stick with whatever is reccomended by the owners manual. My current choice is motorcraft 5w20 and st 7317 (wal mart version of m1-110). It works well too. I drop it every 5k miles weather it needs it or not.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back