Any reason NOT to get a Quick Strut vs. individual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lizpat
For my car, neither KYB nor Monroe makes a quick strut for the rear (it's available only for the front)

What kind of car do you have?

Like everybody else says, the only downside is possible spring rate differences as compared to OEM.

My car came with middle rate springs (FE2 suspension) and the quickstrut springs feel firmer than the OEM ones believe it or not which made me happy, the Buick 231 has some decent heft to it.

I installed Moog brand quickstruts (got them half price on Amazon) and the only issue I had was after a 400 mile drive, one of the mounts started to creak (no clunking or banging, just harmless groaning). A shot of WD40 remedied that and all has been fine ever since.

It's important NOT to torque down the top mount nuts/bolts until after the car is off jacks! Also, re-torque em after 100 miles if needed.

A quick check at RockAuto revealed that a quick strut for my car is $116.99 verses $57.79 for the strut without the mount and the spring. That's right around double the price for quick struts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A quick check at RockAuto revealed that a quick strut for my car is $116.99 verses $57.79 for the strut without the mount and the spring. That's right around double the price for quick struts.

Right, but the quickstrut includes ALL new components, a huge benefit! Plus the cost savings on DIY versus bringing to a shop and shelling out way more $$$!

Of course if one had their own spring compressor tool, then it's DIY on just a stand alone strut... mind you a much harder one though.

Monroe often run 4 for 3 offers on quick struts. I got all 4 for $300 that way.

They also have a lifetime warranty.

So for $100 more than 4 struts I got all new other components and a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: babyivan

Right, but the quickstrut includes ALL new components, a huge benefit! Plus the cost savings on DIY versus bringing to a shop and shelling out way more $$$!

Of course if one had their own spring compressor tool, then it's DIY on just a stand alone strut... mind you a much harder one though.

I've taken the springs off the struts before, but the hardest part is not removing the spring, but removing the spring without having the strut in a vise. If you have a nice workbench and a vise, taking the spring off is a piece-a-cake. Taking the spring off with the strut on the ground is more challenging. The strut spring compressor only cost me $15 at Harbor Freight and it's the same one they rent out at AutoZone.

I've taken the springs off the struts before, but the hardest part is not removing the spring, but removing the spring without having the strut in a vise. If you have a nice workbench and a vise, taking the spring off is a piece-a-cake. Taking the spring off with the strut on the ground is more challenging. The strut spring compressor only cost me $15 at Harbor Freight and it's the same one they rent out at AutoZone.

Unfortunately, I live in nyc in an apt with no workbench or vise.

But even so, having all new components outweighs everything else. Often times the bellows need replacing or the mounts turn out to be not re-useable.

I've installed both types DIY and the Quickstruts were about 3 times faster. Plus no 'killer' spring compression needed.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
For my car, neither KYB nor Monroe makes a quick strut for the rear (it's available only for the front)

What kind of car do you have?

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla.

Price for KYB dampers only = 75 dollars
Mounts = 40
Bumpstop & Boot = 15
Labor = priceful

Price for Quick Strut (Monroe) = 115

If you drive a car with only one suspension setup or you don't mind getting whatever the strut manufacturer decided was the best compromise, then by all means the quick strut is easier and better.

For both of my vehicles, there can be substantial differences based on how the vehicle was optioned out, with multiple spring choices at the OEM level. Not knowing what the compromise was from the aftermarket quik strut manufacturer makes me a little leary if I liked the OEM ride.

I have good news! Gabriel does make quick struts for your 2007 Corolla, both front and rear.

Amazon usually has them at a good price.

My car has Gabriel's quick struts, and they are awesome. Highly recommended for applications where KYB isn't available.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

I have good news! Gabriel does make quick struts for your 2007 Corolla, both front and rear.

Amazon usually has them at a good price.

My car has Gabriel's quick struts, and they are awesome. Highly recommended for applications where KYB isn't available.

What car do you have? How does the ride compare to stock?

I have a 96 Lexus ES300 (Camry).

It rides fine, but I can't really compare it to stock because the car had 200k when I replaced them (still had the original KYB-made struts), and one of the springs was out of place.

Gabriel doesn't list the fronts for my ES300, but the Camry struts fit and work perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back