Threadlocker for Exhaust (very high temps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a spark arrestor/silencer which goes on the exhaust of my atv. It has fallen off in the past and it damaged the threads on the spark arrestor. The company is now out of business so I cannot buy a new one. I rethreaded the spark arrestor for a larger bolt and I think it will hold but I would like to use some kind of threadlocker on it so I don't lose it on the trail somewhere.

I think red loctite would just melt due to the high temperatures. Any recommendations on what I should use that will hold up to the extreme temps?

Loctite makes threadlockers for high temps, search amazon or other online shops, they are expensive though.

what about putting a lock washer in? Otherwise I think stage 8, or maybe the old school drill/wire technique might work?

Double nut or preferably run nordlock washers, that's all I use on critical or high temperature stuff on the racers, I've never had a nord-locked bolt back off since I started using them.

You can use the copper coated steel as long as they are self locking style, the copper coating acts as a corrosion barrier.
Solid copper or copper alloy is preferable if you can find them, they are common for VW/Audi/Porsche but maybe difficult to find in other sizes or thread pitch.

These are just examples, Google around for the correct size and pitch.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/4507-BP.html

To late to edit. It looks like the ones in the first post are copper.
I'm not sure if the DIN specifies material in addition to form in this case.
I would use them, i think they will do the job fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back