Honda AWD fluid change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2013 CR-V has about 9300 miles on it. Yesterday I was scrolling through the maintenance minder function and discovered the MM recommended an "AWD fluid oil" change.

I'm a bit surprised that a fluid change is recommended so early.

Does this seem early to anyone else?

Yes, it's early all right. My friend who has a CRV AWD got into it with the dealer about it being needed. They finally admitted it really wasn't needed. That was his only complaint after 96k miles. It really ticked him off for some reason. I forget all the other details about the episode.

I've owned 3 CR-V's and currently have a /13 CR-V. I perform all of my own maintenance on it. AWD fluid change at 10,000 seems early. But it is very very easy to do yourself. Just make sure you use the correct fluid (Dual Pump II) right from the dealer. It should take about 1.3 qts. Check youtube for how to video.

I really don't care for the maintenance minder. I'd prefer a maintenance schedule listed in the owners manual.

The oil life is the only portion of the MM that has a light on the dash that illuminates to let you know an oil change is coming up.

If I hadn't been randomly scrolling through the MM,I never would have known the AWD fluid needed to be changed.

If its the same as for the Elements, the maintenance interval was listed as something closer to 60-90k, but history has shown that 30k is a much more accurate limit. Honda may have changed the maintenance minder to be more appropriate to real life.

My element was shuddering at low speed tight turns when I bought it at 56k. A rear diff fluid exchange and it has been perfect.

I'm in favor of the fluid change at this early interval. Mainly to get out the inevitable wear particles that get shed off while the system is breaking in. As a matter of fact, I'm going to do just that in my 2013 CRV's auto transmission (2-wheel drive only) at 7000 miles and I'm going to do it again in another 7000 miles. Since Honda frowns on complete system power flushing, and the car's still under warranty, I'll stick with an ATF drain and fill every 25K thereafter.

As Jim Allen has quoted Eleftherkis and Khalil, who have studied the effects of ATF contamination since the '80s, 75% of a transmission's lifetime wear particles are generated in the first few thousand miles of operation. I just haven't decided if I'm going to have the ATF external filter changed at 14k to get those particles it has trapped, permanently out of the system. What do you think, Jim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back