Status
Not open for further replies.
1. small auto battery
2. 12 volt auto fuel pump
3. alligator clips
4. suction hoses
5. 5W30 Mobil dino oil, Purolator Oil Filter

kawasaki.jpg

I am sure the pump works, but you may get "more" oil out by simply turning the mower over on its side into a catch pan. It may not matter in the long run... Those FJ's are good engines!

Is the oil drain plug located in a bad spot on yours too?

On my Briggs powered Snapper, you have to remove the belt guard and belt to use the bottom drain. Flipping it on it's side is OK, but you have to drain the gas or get gas everywhere you don't want it.

I even tried my suction gun thru the dipstick tube, which did nothing more than pull out a fraction of an ounce of warm oil and dribbled oil everywhere.

The oil filter on mine is tiny. Throw a rag under it and you're good to go there.

Joel

I use the 12 v auto fuel pump for all car transmissions, power steering (except one car has electric power steering), brake fluid, etc.

No need to turn over, tilt or open drain plugs
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: henni
Kawasaki Service Manual (model without Oil Filter but otherwise same engine)

Yeah, I know where the plug is. Was just curious how it falls mounted on a Snapper deck.

>> The oil filter on mine is tiny.

I use a 2x original size Purolator Filter as the diameter for housing surface is identical but Puro makes an elongated model for automotive applications. Gives me nice spare capacity and slight edge on cooling the engine oil

which puralotor do you use?

Per the drain, I have an Ariens and just tip it over a large catch bucket on its side. I just did the mid summer oil change, out 5w-40 QS euro synthetic and in Castrol 10w-40 synthtic 4T motorcycle oil.

Purolator has several that match, PL14476 and 14477, latter being about 2x the OEM filter in volume/size due to length

Since the Kaw filter is mounted sideways, if I could find one, I could easily use 3x size oil filter.

BTW, our local Wallyworld sells the 14477 on sale for under $2 and with coupons comes to less than 1 Euro

Just did another oil change with PP10W-30 and new Purolator PL14477 oil filter

Doing maintenance takes less than 5 minutes and no mess, no spill, no tools apart from the old fuel pump suction setup

I have a six horse fc150, these motors are real gems, seems much more powerful than my honda gcv160, i swear that i pull the recoil about four inches and the bloody thing starts, best starting 4 stroke i have ever had.

henni, I forget if I asked you this before, but is your Snapper real LOUD from the deck/blade? That's the main complaint I have with mine. The roar from the deck is unreal. The motor is smooth and quiet.

JTK

no, in fact much quieter than my previous snapper which had a briggs engine.

this one came with 2 engine options and I picked the Kaw after I started one of each and liked the sound better.

I wonder if yours has an issue with blade balance or how it is mounted.

any ford, chevy, etc fuel pump would be just fine, dont spend more than 20-30 on the pump and dont run it dry. I primed mine with some thin oil and always leave some fluid in the lines when draining something (brakes, power steering, etc) so that pump is fully primed for next use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back