MOTUL 300V COMPETITION 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any sponsors sell MOTUL 300V COMPETITION 15W50 oil? Anyone know where it can be purchased?

Amazon is overpriced in my opinion. I was hoping for less. I can get a 24 or 26 liter drum for much less per liter.

Application is Porsche 1997 993 C2S with 15K miles on it.

I don't know much about Porches of that era, although I can certainly appreciate the need for a premium oil in an air-cooled motor. Are you tracking the car or otherwise riding it hard?

Are Mobil 1 15w-50 or Castrol Edge 5w-50 not high performance enough? Would Red Line suffice?

Most importantly, could you share a photo?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Are Mobil 1 15w-50 or Castrol Edge 5w-50 not high performance enough? Would Red Line suffice?

Per Mobil 1, their recommended product for air-cooled Porsche applications is V-Twin 20w-50.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I don't know much about Porches of that era, although I can certainly appreciate the need for a premium oil in an air-cooled motor. Are you tracking the car or otherwise riding it hard?

Most importantly, could you share a photo?

The car is sometimes driven quite hard in 90 degree F plus temperatures.

I have been using Mobil 15W50 but was told by a well known and respected Porsche engine builder that the formulation had be changed and that he no longer recommended it. Something to due with reduction of zinc and phosphous.

Not familiar with Red Line or Castrol Edge. I'll check them out.

As for the v twin oil, mentioned by Ramblejam, I am aware of it but it seem it has so much zinc and phosphous that it could damage cats and O2 sensor, just my thinking don't really know.

I'll work on post a couple of photos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ron in sc
As for the v twin oil, mentioned by Ramblejam, I am aware of it but it seem it has so much zinc and phosphous that it could damage cats and O2 sensor, just my thinking don't really know.

As aforementioned, it's recommended by Mobil for your application -- that should be comfort enough to appease any uneasiness. Want "real world" results?

"Well, I just completed my 3rd oil change in the past 11 months of ownership on my '97 Turbo. After each oil change, I did a Blackstone Used Oil Analysis.

First 2 oil changes were with Mobil 1 Ext. Perf. 15W50 (gold cap). My most recent oil change was with the Mobil 1 Twin V 20W50 as recommended by Kevin. Each interval was right at 5,100 miles.

The report with the Twin V showed excellent results, and I am very pleased with it and Kevin's recommendation. All my "wear metals" improved and my SUS Viscosity and cSt Viscosity looked great.

I will run another 5,000 miles with the fresh Mobil 1 Twin V and then plan to try the Motul 300V 15W50 (expensive...about $26.50 per 2 litre bottles) sometime early next summer.

You guys should try the Mobil 1 Twin V 20W50. Places like Autozone sell it for about $10/qt."

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/8023784-post13.html

Those are very impressive real word result. Are you concerned at CAT or O2 sensor damage.

Photo of car on Grandfathers Mountain in NC

dsc_0042_copy1.jpg

Originally Posted By: ron in sc
Photo of car on Grandfathers Mountain in NC

dsc_0042_copy1.jpg

That's gorgeous! I love the way the old air-cooled models sound.

If you really want a premium synthetic, Red Line is my go-to. It's probably on the same level as Motul, but it's easy to get, a bit less expensive, and they're great about responding to inquiries.

Another thought: Amsoil Z-Rod 20w-50 is something else to consider. There's an Amsoil sponsor around here. Give Pablo a shout if you're interested in going that route.

Last edited:
Well I've gone ahead and ordered the Motul 300V Competition 15W-50. 25 liter drum and three 2 liter tins. Should have enough for three oil changes.

This is what Steve Weiner recommended as his #1 pick if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back