idea to clean heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might catch something but from the plugged cores I've seen on Vulcans it's usually a thick goop like clay and it won't move anywhere with any kind of pressure. Some engines produce the calcium and rust type of debris that could be caught though.

If it's far gone though might be better flushing it on the vehicle by directly hooking up a slightly higher water pressure to the inlet and outlet.

My brothers and I have always had good results with a reverse flush....IF it's not too bad.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Might catch something but from the plugged cores I've seen on Vulcans it's usually a thick goop like clay and it won't move anywhere with any kind of pressure. Some engines produce the calcium and rust type of debris that could be caught though.

If it's far gone though might be better flushing it on the vehicle by directly hooking up a slightly higher water pressure to the inlet and outlet.

What kind of coolant produced this clay?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

What kind of coolant produced this clay?

Silicone drop out!

I use a device that puts tap water in the coolant system and pulse comprised air with the water. Sort of a scrubbing bubbles flush.

Works for me.

Hello, My sister had a 1988 Jeep which had its heater core plugged solid with what I'm 99.99% sure was grey clay radiator leak stop products.

I fit short lengths of scrap hose to the core's inlet and outlet connections (on the firewall). I used gasoline as a solvent after trying household stuff ([censored] and Span and rubbing alcohol). Cleared it out fast. Maybe denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner would be more acceptable to the fire department. Kira

I cannot believe the auto-censor program caught part of the name of a cleaning product. K

Last edited:
My old 98 taurus heater core was totally plugged, I disconnected the hoses to it and pulled the garden hose out there with a nozzle that butted up against the hose pretty tight. Sprayed it one way, then the other, over and over until clean water came out. Boy, that was some nasty crud that just kept flowing out of there! No heat before, but after that, it blew nice and hot. Probably not something you want your neighbors to see you doing.

My old Sonoma was totally plugged up with zero heat. I pulled the heater hoses and blew them out gently with a water hose and then filled them up with white vinegar and let it sit for a day or two and blew that out again with a water hose. It cleared it right up.

I cleaned out the heater radiator on my Nissan Micra by filling it with Toilet Duck cleaner and descaler and letting it stand overnight. When I put it in I got lots of green froth coming out, presumably from the chemicals reacting with the limescale.
I flushed it through thoroughly next day and unbelievable amounts of crud came out.
Then I gave the main radiator the same treatment, again I shifted huge amounts of crud.
I didn't try the same with all aluminium engine, I can stand ruining a heater or radiator, not the engine though. I flushed the engine with a garden hose, that shifted a bit more stuff.
Now the heater works fine and strangely it seems the engine warms up a little faster too. I might be imagining that bit, I kept a closer eye on the temperature gauge after the work.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back