Mobil Delvac™ Elite 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you all have heard of it or used it. I'm going to give it a go in my 2006 F350 6.0 w/276k on the motor. I switched over to 5w40 synthetics long ago after hitting 20k on the truck. I still run the original injectors to this day. I've been reading plenty here and elsewhere about 10w30 oils. I recently found a oil company that carries Mobil products pretty regular. Considering the price it's not much cheaper than Rotella T5, and only a little cheaper than the Delo 400 LE synthetic 5w40 I currently use. I do use an Amzoil bypass filter setup along with OEM MC or Fram oil filters.

My long time favorite has been Mobil 1 TDT in 5w40. I hope it carries the Mobil name well.

I've been thinking about using Rotella T5 10W-30 in the summer time in my 2007 6.0L PowerStroke. I've been using it this winter with no problems, and ArchOil as an additive. I believe there are some people running this combination, but towing 10k pounds in 100 degree Texas summers concern me. If I were to try it, what should I look for? EOT/ECT delta come to mind, but should I also look for something else? Or is it just to crazy to try?

Check out dnewton and roadrunner. Both have ran hdeo in two diffrent vehicles ( durmax and power stroke). Both have hammerd their engines and uoa came back with very low wear numbers.

I belive dnewton has a excllent article about engine wear and "thin" engine oil. I've also used 10w30 in my durmax while towing also. No problems at all.

However being a 6.0 powerstroke I would take extra measure to monitor the delta on your eot and ect. You will want to make sure the oil cooler is up to the task.

Other then that that engine is more that capable of doing anything on the lighter oil that it can do on heaver oil. Many people also enjoy better firing injectiors.

Mobil elite 10w30 is a syn blend comparable to Shell T5 and Delo XLE. Any of those will do well for you.

This past fall I posted uoa/voa of the delo 10w30 in my 10.8 liter volvo. I know this thread is regarding delvac elite, but just saying these newer 10w30 syn blends are fantastic and my uoa is one example.

Granted, I have 38 qt capacity but it's a much larger engine and I don't believe you will ever stress your oil the way mine is. Then again, I don't know what you do with it.

Use delvac elite or any other 10w30 with confidence.

I would not worry about the thinner grade in your 6.0L as long as your oil cooler is performing correctly. Keep an eye on the EOT as mentioned above, and you should have no issues whatsoever, even with heavy towing in heat.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with the ECT/EOT delta split. It's running just fine with the coolant filter and by-pass filter doing their part.

I did see the Delo XLE on their site. I just need to keep an eye out for it locally.

dnewton3 most of your posts are what convinced me to give it a try.

If your looking for delvac call local big rig repair shops, some started carrying this new flavor. Wm has rotella t5, Orelly's has delo and poss wm too.

Originally Posted By: HeavyAssault06
I'm quite happy with the ECT/EOT delta split. It's running just fine with the coolant filter and by-pass filter doing their part.

I did see the Delo XLE on their site. I just need to keep an eye out for it locally.

dnewton3 most of your posts are what convinced me to give it a try.

If you have the bypass coolant filter installed and the parts have been replaced, as well as having fresh coolant, then I expect you're in very good shape.

roadrunner1 has seen absolutely stellar results from his JD50 10w-30 lube in his 6.0L. His data is very credible and contributory.

The PS engines tend to want to shear the 15w-40 down to a 30 grade, but they seem to leave the 10w-30 right in range. You either feed it a 30 grade, or it will make one for you! Still - I have also not seen any significant data that shows a 15w-40 that shears to actually result in wear escalation; that is a fear that never manifests into reality. I've also seen no data that indicates heavy towing in heat with the 30 grade is an issue.

The upside to a 10w-30 in the HEUI is that is simply seems to start easier; the injectors are not so "lazy" when cold and they won't "romp" with really cold block temps. The thinner grade is also easier on the starter, and presents less resistance when cranking a cold engine on a super cold day (like we have been getting this season in the midwest).

Thinner oil that pumps easier also makes for slightly better fuel economy. Hence, the entire market heading that way.

On the downside, there's a lack of prevailing availability. But that is changing slowly. More dino and semi 10w-30 is creeping onto the shelves.

Bottom line is this: there is pleny of data to show that it's safe and effective. You can try it; if you like the results you can help forge a new mentality amongst the non-believers and grade-bigots!
grin2.gif

JMO, but I'd probably stick with the exact maintenance regimen you've been using. 280K on the original injectors with no issues says you're doing something right.

I was able to source the Elite 10w30 from a oil distributor. I got two cases for the "long term" test. I have already changed the oil out with the 10w30. It's doing great so far. I'll see what happens for the next 15k driving.

If I wasn't able to get the Elite I was going to the JD 50. Good pricing from the local Greene dealer as well. I may try the JD in the future but that's down the road a bit more. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back