Delo Extended Life in place of Dex-Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks,
I've been thinking of using Delo Extended Life in my GF's Monte Carlo. Delo ELC isn't Dex-Cool approved however the ingredients are pretty similar. Any concerns with the switch in fluid? Or is it better to stick with Dex-Cool approved?

No reason other than price, I have the Delo available for practically nothing.

hmmmmm... We have seen others make changes to other chemistries without real issue. Id just make sure that the radiator, block and heater core are flushed REALLY well, so there is no more dex in there at all.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
hmmmmm... We have seen others make changes to other chemistries without real issue. Id just make sure that the radiator, block and heater core are flushed REALLY well, so there is no more dex in there at all.

This, if you can get it cheap, make sure all the old stuff is out and go for it.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I've been thinking of using Delo Extended Life in my GF's Monte Carlo. Delo ELC isn't Dex-Cool approved however the ingredients are pretty similar. Any concerns with the switch in fluid? Or is it better to stick with Dex-Cool approved?

The Delo appears not to be ethylene glyclol but propylene glycol (that's what 1,2-propanediol in the MSDS is). Propylene glycol is less toxic than ethylene glycol but is also not as good at conducting heat, which means you're effectively reducing your cooling system capacity using it.

Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate is the 2-eha used in Dexcool.

So, basically it appears to be a Dexcool based on propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.

The product the OP linked to is ethylene glycol based. Here is the MSDS for that product:

MSDS

They do make a propylene glycol based version and an EG based nitrite free version.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The product the OP linked to is ethylene glycol based. Here is the MSDS for that product:

MSDS

They do make a propylene glycol based version and an EG based nitrite free version.

Ed

Yup, it is almost the same as a Universal Dex-Clone.

Decided to call Chevron to get their take on the matter. Even though Delo ELC has a different chemistry, Chevron says it's safe to use with all makes/models. The only caveat was for vehicles still under warranty. While the fluid is safe for am/am they don't recommend the use of non-manufacturer specified coolant while under warranty.

The cat elc's are just nitrited versions of dexcool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back