Is this dented oil filter okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the return process work when you buy something online? Do I have to pay to ship it back now? They didn't even re box it.They sent it in the [censored] thin Donaldson box all by itself.

X2 on the return,May not seal to the block correctly. That looks like no filter on this monitor lol

Last edited:
I figured it out. It's been a while so I forgot how. Take a look at the two pics I took. I don't think it's going to seal at the bottom with that dent.

Originally Posted By: JDW
X2 on the return,May not seal to the block correctly. That looks like no filter on this monitor lol
It's actually a huge filter. It's just my hand covering it up. lol

I'd send it back, and they should pay the freight unless they try and blame the shipper. If that's the case I would tell them they packaged it improperly for shipping. Then if push came to shove I'd dispute it with the credit card company if that's how you paid.

I have a feeling the return process will be smooth and simple with any reputable company, and there will no need to do anything I mentioned above.

I wouldn't use it. Too much risk of can failure.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They didn't even re box it.They sent it in the [censored] thin Donaldson box all by itself.
Since they will probably send you the replacement in another unprotected box, I'd chalk it up to experience and go somewhere else.

I'd be very reluctant to use it.
You should return it and shame on seller for not having properly packaged it for shipping.
If seller is reluctant to give up your money, you can take the route demarpaint suggests.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Define bought "off the internet"....the interweb is a big place.

Ebay? Amazon? Random seller? Autoparts place????

Definitely do not use.

It was a website that sells nothing but Donaldson filter products. An actual company. I had this happen once with genos garage and they just sent me another one no questions asked so hopefully this company will do the same. I emailed them today and told them it was damaged and it was poorly packaged, plus I gave them my number to call me back so i'll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are a good company, they will just send you another...tell them you can send pics if they need them. Otherwise, if you used a credit card, cancel the transaction if they play bad.....

Little dents are OK. This dent is not little.

It took a lot of force to make that dent. It looks like it did not just drop, it looks like it got thrown into something. It is best NOT to use that filter.

I notice a lot of places are sloppy packers when they ship items, even Amazon. You'd think the business would realize that damaged goods in shipment end up costing them time, money and customers.

I'm with the others, I would not use that filter. The dent is way too big and could cause metal failure due to oil pressure pulsations over time.

I bought one once with a dent on it similar to yours and wondered if it was safe to put on, well I did. I had no incident with it for the oci and when I went to change it, i noticed the dent was totally gone.

Last edited:
It came fedex so they probably played some football with it. It was around super bowl time when I got it.

Originally Posted By: gulian
I bought one once with a dent on it similar to yours and wondered if it was safe to put on, well I did. I had no incident with it for the oci and when I went to change it, i noticed the dent was totally gone.

Sometimes sex with a prostitute is safe, just not a good practice to even try to begin with. Same as your experience with a dented filter, you got lucky. How many times you want to push that luck until something catastrophic happens?

A slight dent on the side is one thing. A dent on the end that could affect the internal endcap sealing is another. No way i would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back