GM Supercharger Oil Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the GM supercharger oil, are there any alternatives that can be used in the GM 3800 supercharger?

My daughter and her husband just bought a 2005 Impala SS. I was reading up on the supercharger, and came across recommendations to use no oil in the supercharger except the GM supercharger oil, unless an oil is designed specifically for that application. Are there any?

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Besides the GM supercharger oil, are there any alternatives that can be used in the GM 3800 supercharger?

My daughter and her husband just bought a 2005 Impala SS. I was reading up on the supercharger, and came across recommendations to use no oil in the supercharger except the GM supercharger oil, unless an oil is designed specifically for that application. Are there any?

Everybody who owns a R53 supercharged MINI goes to the GM dealer to buy the fluid. I guess MINI will only sell you a new SC.

I got mine from zzp if you get it from the dealer you need two bottles.You want to use what eaton says to use not many options you don't want to experiment with anything else.

Last edited:
I'd use the OEM stuff, I get three bottles imported into Australia for the price of one at the dealer.

If you search "supercharger oil" on ebay, you will see that there are a couple of people who sell "alternatives", from their own recipe through to decanting OEM stuff from a larger pool.

I've seen mobil 424, and rotary compressor oil used.

I used to have a few customers with Park Avenue Ultra's and the service spec from GM service manuals at the time was GM oil or a approved GM Spec synthetic engine oil. I never had any problems with 5-30 Syn oil but we changed every 30,000 miles with services. I think the most important thing is to change it.
One older car was stolen and the others were sold with high millage and all had original S/C's on them.

I used Intense Racing's supercharger oil. It's $8.99 for an 8 oz bottle, which is enough for a complete fluid change (it takes just under 8 oz, the GM dealer bottles are 4 oz each). I put it in about 12k miles ago and the SC hasn't detonated yet. Per their website: "This supercharger oil is chemically EXACT to the GM Supercharger oil and in fact we get it from the same vendor that GM uses."

Some on the 3800 forums swear by M1 5W-30.

Last edited:
Cant wait to see the panic the day GM discontinues the supercharger oil.Once the cars are out of warranty (like now) they dont legally have to carry it.That AutoTrack fluid will be the same way with no aftermarket support.

Supposedly the Ford supercharger fluid is identical to the GM stuff, but is more expensive. Many Thunderbird SuperCoupe owners use the GM oil for that reason.

Magnuson Products, who are the only retail sellers of Eaton superchargers, recommend buying the oil from either Ford or GM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Supposedly the Ford supercharger fluid is identical to the GM stuff, but is more expensive. Many Thunderbird SuperCoupe owners use the GM oil for that reason.

Magnuson Products, who are the only retail sellers of Eaton superchargers, recommend buying the oil from either Ford or GM.

Yes we sure do , GMs was very much cheaper, and works like a charm.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. That's great.

I found a discussion board where someone posted a copy of a GM Service Bulletin that stated Mobil 1 5W-30 could be used as a substitute for the supercharger oil. Anyone familiar with this?

I took the advice about doing an Amazon search. By far the GM supercharger oil is the most popular. It seems that it is used not only by Ford owners, but others such as Toyota, because it is less expensive.

The irony is that at my local indie parts store, the Motorcraft XL-3 diff FM fluid is HALF the price of the AC Delco stuff, for the same 4 ounces, and I (and many others) consider the Ford stuff to be the better additive anyway.

Folks, I know this is a little out there, but I've been noticing forums where people have been using BP 2380 aviation turbine oil with claimed success. May not be the best option, depending on price, how close you are to an aviation facility or other distributor who sells it, etc. However, if NHGUY is right about the future of supercharger oil, this could be an alternative to consider for the future.

Few oils smell like GM Supercharger oil, so it makes me wonder if it is much different from other oils.

I would buy the ACDelco stuff for that reason alone.

I replaced the factory S/C on my dads 01 Supercharged Frontier with a fully rebuilt unit from PSE Superchargers.

They use M1 15W50 in all of their rebuilt units.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Looking at the insides of mine when I did the coupler the other day, can't see a special reason for the cat gut oil...a decent synthetic should be more than fine for a small amount of oil that would likely be changed more regularly than neglected on most.

I LoLed at this really bad...supercharger oil, and the horsepower that it makes

http://corollacarclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6775&page=1&pp=10&highlight=sc12

Everyone that clicks on that link and reads that ridiculous post will be just a little dumber. I with I had never read it, just lost a point off my IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back