Amsoil document on 5W-30 Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the paper "A Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils" on Amsoil website.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

My biggest problems are the price they come up with.

Yes, for a 1 quart bottle of M1 5W-30 EP is $9.51 a quart if you buy single quarts. A 5 quart jug of M1 EP can be had for $26.97 at Walmart, this equates to $5.39 a quart. Amsoil's study was geared around 5 quart usage.

Secondly, their mileage of 4777 miles. Who the heck buys M1 EP and then changes it with under 5K miles???!!!! That is wasting money. Only reason to run M1 EP is for the extended drain intervals.

Then Amsoil goes on saying that their Signature Series is good for 25K miles, but they back off stating that under severe service that SS is good for 15K miles. Mobil 1 states that under severe service, follow your owner's manual. From everything I have read, severe service is very much up to interpretation, and every car maker has a different opinion on what is severe.

While I do feel Amsoil is good oil, they do seem to make a lot of assumptions and rely on a lot of lab tests to show how good they are.

What I would like to see is Amsoil conduct REAL WORLD tests of vehicles using Amsoil, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Edge Ti, etc. I would mention that taxis or other vehicles that are driven very hard would be a good test, but many on here think 80 year old ladies that drive 2 miles to the store and shut the engine off do more damage.

Amsoil comes across to me that someone wants to drive a vehicle a million miles and do as few oil changes as possible during vehicle ownership. I might obsess about oil somewhat, but I will grow tired of my car long before I wear out an engine quicker if I use this oil over that oil.

These tests can be seen in the UOA forum here.
Make your own judgements on the results.
There are some great long drain SSO runs, as well as some that aren't as good and the same is true for PP, Ultra, M1, TGMO, HGMO or any other synthetic labeled oil you can think of.
Is Amsoil SSO worth the money?
Well, the price premium isn't all that much if you buy in for the lower price point and the oils do seem pretty good in service, so who really knows?
I do know that whether you use SSO, M1 or ST, oil changes are but a tiny part of the cost of owning and running any car.

I can't stand Amsoil. The oil is good but all the "hoopla" around it and my personal experience with them totally sucked.

I will never buy Amsoil again. Even at $2 a qt. They can keep it!!!

Jeff

At the moment, both my 2009 Sonatas use Amsoil SSO motor oil . I will do 30 000km oci with uoa afterwards.
Yearly oil changes will be my new "normal". They are many other maintenance jobs I can do on my cars to keep me busy other then oil changes.

I recently found the same document and then searched to find this thread.

I thought Ultra did quite well in the tests overall. Mobil 1 EP was all over the map. Why is its deposit and wear results so much worse? It did well in other tests. Is the wear test they used a bad test to judge from?

Synpower seemed good too.

Last edited:
Amsoil makes good products and I know of very few people who dispute that. However, their testing procedures and these papers they come out with are highly questionable. They should really let their products just speak for themselves and forget all these so called unbiased tests they do against the competition where they always come out the best.

IMO that SAE oil test paper is good for one thing and one thing alone, just as the gear oil papers were, and that is toilet paper. Nothing Amsoil says about a competitor's product and how it performs should ever be taken to heart. JMHO. I don't trust them at all in that aspect.

It is not just Amsoil( i.e. marketing hooey ). All oil companies do it. Amsoil however takes the cake for this kind of thing though and it gets old. IF they are really THAT good why the need to always be talking about it.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I read the paper "A Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils" on Amsoil website.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

My biggest problems are the price they come up with.

Yes, for a 1 quart bottle of M1 5W-30 EP is $9.51 a quart if you buy single quarts. A 5 quart jug of M1 EP can be had for $26.97 at Walmart, this equates to $5.39 a quart. Amsoil's study was geared around 5 quart usage.

Secondly, their mileage of 4777 miles. Who the heck buys M1 EP and then changes it with under 5K miles???!!!! That is wasting money. Only reason to run M1 EP is for the extended drain intervals.

Then Amsoil goes on saying that their Signature Series is good for 25K miles, but they back off stating that under severe service that SS is good for 15K miles. Mobil 1 states that under severe service, follow your owner's manual. From everything I have read, severe service is very much up to interpretation, and every car maker has a different opinion on what is severe.

While I do feel Amsoil is good oil, they do seem to make a lot of assumptions and rely on a lot of lab tests to show how good they are.

What I would like to see is Amsoil conduct REAL WORLD tests of vehicles using Amsoil, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Edge Ti, etc. I would mention that taxis or other vehicles that are driven very hard would be a good test, but many on here think 80 year old ladies that drive 2 miles to the store and shut the engine off do more damage.

I agree with the guys that say the little old lady that drives less than a mile a day is much harder on oil. They do not burn off the moisture. If you look at Taxi cab tests, QS has taken QSGB and put in New York Taxi Cabs. After thousands of miles, they drained it and had it tested. Still passed critical industry tests for wear protection, rust protection and viscosity. C. Reports did an article a few years back on two taxi cabs, one filled with dino oil and the other synthetic oils. They found no real difference after many thousands of miles. Not saying, just saying

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

IMO that SAE oil test paper is good for one thing and one thing alone, just as the gear oil papers were, and that is toilet paper. Nothing Amsoil says about a competitor's product and how it performs should ever be taken to heart. JMHO. I don't trust them at all in that aspect.

So are you actually saying Amsoil is lying? If so, maybe some proof would be in order. I mean Royal Purple was actually found to be untruthful about MPG claims a few years ago, but you trust them implicitly, so what gives???

Originally Posted By: Pablo

So are you actually saying Amsoil is lying? If so, maybe some proof would be in order. I mean Royal Purple was actually found to be untruthful about MPG claims a few years ago, but you trust them implicitly, so what gives???

Pablo now you are a Royal Purple hater do not try to use logic to discredit Royal Purple because Royal Purple fans will say you are now a hater.

Point that on VOA's and TDS sheets Royal Purple in the API licensed line is similar to Super Tech or Valvoline synthetics but at a higher cost you sir are a hater.

Point to Royal Purple advertising claims such as
Superior corrosion protection

No rust observed in standard industry testing.

Really has is this superior?

You are a hater.

Point to

Royal Purple HPS Series of motor oil responds to increased pressure with increased viscosity. It’s advanced additive technologies, such as Synerlec, improves the condition of metal-to-metal contact under severe conditions for greater protection. Take a look at the

Really is that what motor oil is supposed to do.

You are hater.

Now that I have made this post. I am a hater.

I am saying I don't believe them when they make claims about other company's products. Call it what you wish. I have seen what they say about other brands turn out to be untrue before far too often to believe papers like the gear oil one and this oil one. Or anything else for the most part really. Very untrustworthy company IMHO when it comes to claims about competitors products and even their own at times.

I provided proof during the whole gear oil( white papers )joke and fiasco that at least contradicted the claims they made about RP Maxgear but you poo poo'd it. You don't want to hear it. You just want everyone to blindly believe whatever Amsoil says like you do. Sorry bro but not me.

Why bring RP into it? I didn't mention RP. Can't stay on topic? Have to deflect and try and turn an Amsoil discussion into one about RP so people won't read negatives about your brand? You have trained well at the temple of Amsoil grasshopper.
grin.gif

Seeing as YOU brought RP up...I have found RP to be far more honest than Amsoil overall. So yes, I tend to believe them most of the time. They don't tell people [censored] about warranty for one thing. They flat out tell you their product doesn't meet warranty when it doesn't unlike the company you have ties with. That doesn't mean I don't think RP has stretched it a bit at times. The difference between us is you can never see any wrong in Amsoil while I can see it in RP.

I expect no less from you though and was just counting down the hours until you responded. I even was right about what I thought you would post.

As I said, Amsoil makes good products. It is just too bad they can't let those products speak for themselves and stop all the bull hooey they do with the suspect testing and such. It really hurts their image.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Pablo now you are a Royal Purple hater do not try to use logic to discredit Royal Purple because Royal Purple fans will say you are now a hater.

Point that on VOA's and TDS sheets Royal Purple in the API licensed line is similar to Super Tech or Valvoline synthetics but at a higher cost you sir are a hater.

Point to Royal Purple advertising claims such as
Superior corrosion protection

No rust observed in standard industry testing.

Really has is this superior?

You are a hater.

Point to

Royal Purple HPS Series of motor oil responds to increased pressure with increased viscosity. It’s advanced additive technologies, such as Synerlec, improves the condition of metal-to-metal contact under severe conditions for greater protection. Take a look at the

Really is that what motor oil is supposed to do.

You are hater.

Now that I have made this post. I am a hater.

The topic is Amsoil not Royal Purple. How about staying on topic.

Bottom line is you have no proof. There was nothing untrue Amsoil published, I brought RP up because it's in your sig and you talk about them all the time, yet they had actually had a case where their statements were proven to be untrue. You are not consistent - you made the statement, it's not true, so I challenge it. I'm sorry you have a problem with that. It's not personal.

Lets just all agree ,Amsoil and Royal Purple both make excellent products. While I buy or use neither , I can respect them both as very good lubricant companies. Cant we all just get along lol

Amsoil do lose some credibility when they spin things a certain way.

But some of their testing and disclosure is the best out there.

We have several test figures on several oils in the report linked by the OP that are not available from any other source.

And if you haven't seen it, their report on ATF performance after 100k miles in Las Vegas is great.

Hi,
OP - A real world comparison of Amsoil/M1 was done by Paradise Garages (spacebears) around 2002/3 - Google it

It was interesting and both performed well with the formulations of the time. Amsoil gained viscosity IIRC and this was also quite typical of some lubricants of the era

Marketing is one thing - reality is another!

As the late Gary Allan said more than once along these lines: if you pay for the test you get the results you're looking for. Amsoil is doing exactly that, just like any other oil company. I'm no fan of Amsoil either, but lets face it most of the oil companies play similar games. Don't hold your breath for any real world side by side oil testing.

Doug nailed it as usual.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Marketing is one thing - reality is another!

Amsoil is probably the best small boutique blender IMO. The way I see it though, the major brands are all so good that it makes little sense to use a boutique brand these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back