Honda Dealer Bulk Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post, so bear with me. Just had the local Honda dealer do the first oil change on my new 2013 Accord EX-L, I4, CVT. Mileage 6802 with 15% MM. Looks like they put in their 520 bulk oil (I'm assuming it's 5w20 but haven't found out what manufacturer made it). I am surprised they used 5w20 since the manual doesn't even mention it but here in the middle of California it doesn't get too cold. First cold-start this morning garage temp was 45 degrees. I plan on doing my own oil changes in the future and will probably use PP or PU or whatever looks best at that time. I drive the car like a little old lady going to church and love getting the unbelievable gas mileage. I drive by the econo-meter as much as the speedometer. Can't wait to see what you all think!

The bulk oils vary from dealer to dealer. They're not obligated to use anything in particular, if I recall correctly. You can certainly ask what it is, but bear in mind it could change the next time you stop in.

STEVO,

I would think their bulk oil is 0w20. Call the dealer up and ask the service MANAGER what oil they use and report back on here. Esp since some dealers have Honda labeled 0w20 syn-blend available for $3.90 a quart.

The dealers used to use what ever they wanted but I thought over the last few years there was a requirement to use Honda labeled bulk oil. This seems to be what Toyota did as well.

Last edited:
Never assume. If you're paranoid I'd ask for the invoice from the bulk oil company.

Remember they have lots of used cars and older stuff to service with the cheapest stuff possible.

Does it affect the warranty if the dealer uses 5w-20 over 0w-20? If not ... I can see the dealer sticking in the cheapest 5w-20 they can get their hands on.

Just called the service manager and he said they should have used 0w20 but didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about the manufacturer. Next time I go by there I will sneak in and ask one of the techs what oil they use.
Just cause I,m paranoid and have OCD doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stevo2013
Just called the service manager and he said they should have used 0w20 but didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about the manufacturer. Next time I go by there I will sneak in and ask one of the techs what oil they use.

Really? You got to be kidding me... service manager should know up and down, at the very least, what viscosity and brand of oil they are putting in for their oil changes and the filter they use. Incompetence in the service department is not a good sign.

OP my frustration is directed towards your dealer not you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat

Really? You got to be kidding me... service manager should know up and down, at the very least, what viscosity and brand of oil they are putting in for their oil changes and the filter they use. Incompetence in the service department is not a good sign.

Oh, I think he knows. For sure he knows. But the reality is, he's supposed to be putting in 0w20 (synthetic fluid). I'd bet you a $100 bill that his bulk oil is dino 5w20 bulk from Valvoline (or worse). When the service manager said "they should have used 0w20" .... this was simply him covering his arse. He knows the car specs for 0w20 synthetic. He also knows they put 5w20 dino in everything. He ain't dumb. But he's counting on you being clueless.

There is such a thing as Honda labeled 0w20 syn-blend. Only $3.90 a quart at Bernardi Honda. But they probably used some el-cheapo generic bulk oil if the SM is acting like that.

Toyota dealer here used to do that. When I inquired what they used I was told whatever is the cheapest oil the service manager can order. At least they were honest I guess. But now they use Toyota labeled bulk oil which is very similar to Mobil bulk. Funny, after the initial response I started taking the Matrix to the Ford dealer for MC syn-blend and an MC oil filter for $20 with coupon versus $36 at the Toyo dealer.

For the OP I think I'd call them on that. Have them put Honda bottled 0w20 syn-blend in there with you standing next to the car watching. They can keep the filter on. Then report back on here.

Last edited:
The only oil weight that should be going into that car per the manufacturer/warranty is 0w20. Why the dealer used bulk 5w20 is unusual. If you have a good relationship with the dealer go back and talk to them and confirm that they used 5w20. If they did then have them remove it and put in the correct specced oil. If they won't, then find another dealer who follows the manufacturer specs and respects their customers.
Enjoy the car.

The SM sounds like a shady dude. I wouldn't go back to that dealership ever again. It's good you'll be handling the OCIs yourself in the future.

My local dealer uses the HGMO syn-blend 0w20 and Castrol GTX/syn for all other weights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roob
The only oil weight that should be going into that car per the manufacturer/warranty is 0w20. Why the dealer used bulk 5w20 is unusual. If you have a good relationship with the dealer go back and talk to them and confirm that they used 5w20. If they did then have them remove it and put in the correct specced oil. If they won't, then find another dealer who follows the manufacturer specs and respects their customers.
Enjoy the car.

Agree, you need to return and calmly explain that you'd like the correct oil used. It's their responsibility to fix it.

what does it say on your receipt? that is all Honda will care if in unfortunate circumstances any proof is needed.

Here is what the invoice says:
1 OIL 520-530 BULK 17.00 (list) 17.00 (net) 17.00 (total)

I used a coupon they sent me and total charge was $26.56
Don't worry, I don't intend to go back there for anything except parts. I had never gone there for service before and just wanted to check them out.
Always expect the worst; you'll never be disappointed!

Of course, you could have put FAR QSUD 0W-20 in your car or PP 0W-20 for around five bucks after MIR just by registering your new Accord on the Pennz and QS sites.
TGMO 0W-20 is widely available for around five bucks a quart.
Change your own oil, save money and know what your engine is really getting, especially while it's under warranty.

Is this the selling dealer as well? If so, I'd have a nice chat w/GM or owner if truely 0w-20 oil (synthetic blend/synthetic) is called for but convention 5w-20 was put in. Or you can save yourself some stress and change the oil yourself @ 10k a be done w/it.

The Honda dealer here has treated me well along with others I know that have gone there. They're probably the exception though. If I ever had to return there they said no appt needed just stop in when you can and we'll get right on it. So I wouldn't even call in this case. March right in and have them make it right.

This is why I personally watch the mechanic pour the oil into my engines and spot observe ANY repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back