Lubegard Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2001 GMC Savana 1500, I have a rebuilt 4L60E. The rebuilder apparently didn't do such a great job, since it's developed what seems to be torque converter clutch chatter in less than 30,000 miles. I tried Lubegard Red, Lubegard Dr. Tranny, and Lucas Transmission Treatment, without much success. At my most recent fluid change, I added Lubegard Platinum. I've put a little less than a thousand miles on since then, and the transmission seems much happier. Sometimes I feel just a little soft shudder, but mostly it's working smoothly.

While I realize that I'm nursing a sick transmission along, this is a work vehicle, and I'm going to nurse it as long as possible. I'm pretty convinced of the efficacy of the Lubegard Platinum so far, but time will tell.

I also use lubegard platinum when I change fluid.plat has a friction mod in it and is the very best of additives.tranny's run smooth as silk

Last edited:
And your not gonna share with us what fluid you put in there?!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
wink.gif

+1. Since dex III is no longer a spec! there is no such thing! and the fluids can be a free for all.

I'd be a bit worried having too much of the wrong fm in there in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
At my most recent fluid change

Are you doing drain & fills, or a full fluid exchange?

I have used Lubegard Red bottle with great results on a 2000 Buick Lesabre with 193,000 on the original transmission and factory transmission oil and filter.

When the car was given to me for free i was shocked to find out the transmission oil or filter was never changed. The car shifted hard in third gear and before i changed out the old factory fluid and filter i added the Lubegard red bottle and It helped reduce the hard shift in third gear.

It obviously did not fix the the problem just masked the hard shift. I since then changed the ATF fluid with amsoil multi use ATF and installed a new filter and the transmission is now back to shifting hard again in third gear.

I'm thinking about adding some Lubegard Red once again or maybe i will try the Lubegard Platinum.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
wink.gif

Oh, yeah, that. Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Stelth
At my most recent fluid change

Are you doing drain & fills, or a full fluid exchange?

Drain and fill. Takes about 4 1/2 qts.

I would continue to do pan drains and refills.

It seems Hoofhearted has varnish in the tranny causing pressure and shift timing issues. Adding a bunch of different OTC additives will only complicate things.

Stealth, Have the tranny shop do some pressure checks. it sounds as if some solenoids may not be activating correctly.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

It seems Hoofhearted has varnish in the tranny causing pressure and shift timing issues. Adding a bunch of different OTC additives will only complicate things.

Stealth, Have the tranny shop do some pressure checks. it sounds as if some solenoids may not be activating correctly.

Would seafoam atf additive and a flush help get the varnish out safely?
Never tried it but from what I can tell you pour it in, go for a drive and then have a full fluid exchange and it is supposed to get all that stuff out.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Would seafoam atf additive and a flush help get the varnish out safely?
Never tried it but from what I can tell you pour it in, go for a drive and then have a full fluid exchange and it is supposed to get all that stuff out.

Stuff, meaning more contaminents? Varnish take a bit more time to remove and needs to be done slowly! Any additive that works tooooo fast may infact cause more issues IMHO!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hoofhearted
I have used Lubegard Red bottle with great results on a 2000 Buick Lesabre with 193,000 on the original transmission and factory transmission oil and filter.

When the car was given to me for free i was shocked to find out the transmission oil or filter was never changed. The car shifted hard in third gear and before i changed out the old factory fluid and filter i added the Lubegard red bottle and It helped reduce the hard shift in third gear.

I'm thinking about adding some Lubegard Red once again or maybe i will try the Lubegard Platinum.

Were it mine I'd do a round of Auto-Rx to degunk it before adding Lubegard.

Transmission Cleaning Instructions

There's probably varnish causing the hard shifting which a good cleaning might eliminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back