Kubota UDT and similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, hope the new year is treating you well.

I have a question someone might be able to help out with.

I have a Kubota Tractor L245DT, and it needs the trans/rear axle/hydraulic oil changing. The manual has the note that early L series tractors had 80W oil installed in the trans, but that this should be changed to Kubota UDT soonest.

(I have had this machine for a few years now, and this is the first time I have changed this oil, I have no idea what is in there currently)

Here is the problem.

I have several options to replace this oil, Kubota UDT IS one of them, but (very)expensive, and some of the other suppliers have oils the meet the UDT standard...however.

Gulf Oil for example, Universal Tractor Transmission Fluid, listed as suitable, is rated at 80W.

Fuchs Titan UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil) also listed as suitable, is rated 10W30.

Castrol Agri Trans MP is rated at 20W40.

Seeing as how Kubota recommended ditching the 80W as per the manual, which way do I go?

There is a big difference between 80W and 10W30.

Temperatures here rarely get below freezing (Celcius) and normaly range between 5 and 30 deg C.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Regards,

Scott.

Ok, but why the different specs from different manufactureres, and why did Kubota ditch the original 80W in favour of the UDT?

And why are some oils (tractor specific) rated at SAE (gear) 80W and others SAE (engine) multi grade, still meeting the UDT specification?

Incidently, I run 10W40 in my diesel truck engine, I would not run 80W gear oil in it.

Additives, money?

Don't confuse the simple viscosity ratings and the overall performance requirements. A UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil)has a very different performance package (additive system)than an engine oil in order to account for gear protection and other factors such as wet brake performance and water tolerance. There are a good number of proven UTTOs available and it should not be difficult for you to find one. If you can't just let me know. I have been working with these formulations for years so I can give you some brand names to look for if needed.

Last edited:
If it has a hydrostatic transmission I would stick to Kubota UDT. If its a manual, they any quality tractor hydraulic and transmission fluid should be fine. TSC sells it.

Note you have have multiple drain points and a filter screen. I did in my L225.

Respected member Jim Allen tested a generic farm store universal transmission hydraulic fluid and was disappointed to find out that it had a very weak additive package.

Whitewolf, what do you think of this old article that questions the quality of some of theses fluids that are "recommended" but may not actually pass the requirements of equipment manufacturers?

www.pqiamerica.com/THF%20Reprint.pdf

To the OP, I would spend some time determining the answer. Talk to a knowledgeable dealer. Is your system a combined one (hyd, tranny)? I have goofed at least once using the wrong fluid based on a dealer's wrong recommendation, resulting in an expensive repair.

I think that this is a real concern. In my opinion (and others) the additive systems that really qualify as genuine UTTOs come from either Lubrizol, Afton or Oronite. The problem is that if companies purchase these correct products but then choose to under treat that is difficult to control. The message is to purchase a reputable product so that you can be more sure of the quality.
Have I addressed your question?

Last edited:
Thanks folks, now it's starting to make a bit more sense, and yes this does help Whitewolf.

To answer a few questions, the L245 is an old tractor, predating the HST transmissions, it's a good old crunch gearbox. Low and High ratio 4 speed base, select-able 4wd.

Oil is common between rear drive/differential, gearbox and hydraulics. Front axle is independent, but oddly enough the oil recommendation is different again. (90W)

The only hydraulics I use are the three point hitch lift, there are no other breakouts.

I know about the filter screen and the multiple drain points and have all the oil out.

My choices at the moment are Kubota (Very expensive.) Castrol, moderate pricing, Fuchs UTTO, and Gulf tractor transmission oil.

I guess I needed to look closely at the viscosity tables, but it is still a bit confusing when all the gear oil I have ever used, (or really seen here in NZ) is single viscosity, and then a multi weight oil is recommended for a transmission.

Spot on, wet clutch, wet brakes.

Castrol is looking like the winner, I can get it easily through the farm supply place I use, and it is half the price of Kubota UDT.
I'll check the Shell out too. Thanks.

Whatever you decide, please let us know and how it affected the machinery.

Everyone can then benefit from your selection and experience.

Hi,
Don't forget Mobil 424. I'm not selling it (I'm not in that game)but I have worked with it and I believe it to be a good reputable product.

In the two different Kubotas we've had I always used John Deere HyGard in them. Its very good fluid and I have several other machines/hydraulic systems, so from my standpoint its much ,ore economical to try to commonize as many applications as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back