07 Camry 4 cyl - oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder engine has 150,000 miles on it. Toyota recommends 5w-20 and this is always what I have used. I started using the high mileage 5w-20 at about 120,000 miles. They also recommend 5,000 interval, which I have always followed. I noticed about a year ago that it blows blue smoke when I start it in the morning, but doesn't do it after that. I have also started tracking my oil consumption and I am using about 1 qt every 1,500 miles. I know it's not horrible, but I would like to improve if possible.

Based on some searching it seems it's likely my valve seals, which I am not going to replace. Would there be a better, maybe heavier, oil that would minimize the leaking at the valve seals?

Other info: I live in Utah. I'm a pretty aggressive driver and I drive at the higher end of the speed limit most the time. I would say 80% or so of my driving is highway.

Thanks,
Justin

Hello, Justin -- welcome to the forum! Couple of questions:

What's the temperature like where you're at?
What oil(s) have you previously used, and what are you currently using?

Maxlife High Mileage is one of the best High Mileage products.

Of course, the engine is also getting a bit older so natural to have some small issues, probably no product will make enormous improvements.

You're already using a high mileage product, but...

Others have recommended trying the MaxLife in 5w-30 or 10w-30. I'd probably give that a whirl myself.

Last edited:
Hey Justin. I also recommend the VML HM that the others recommend. If your set on to stickin' to the 5w-20, afaik, VML does offer the HM in 5w-20. But, since it is an older engine, the tolerances have probably grown, and a 5w-30 could possibly be beneficial. Either way, VML HM is a great oil.

Side note - Don't worry about the PQIA warning on the valvoline 5w-20 because that was only for the conventional (and the nextgen conventional). The VML High Mileage was not included.

Valve stem seals on the 2AZ-FE are pretty straighforward but I'd be inclined to try a xw-30 high milage oil and leave them be. I guess it depends on the condition of the car and how long you plan to keep it.

I'm not sure the book hours, it's probably 40 bucks in parts and 3-4 hours at the most.

Thanks for all the responses. Good news is I am already using Maxlife HM. I am going to shift to the 5w-30 first to see if that helps at all.

bepperb - Although I never found anything for my specific engine, generally it seems a lot of people feel like the seals are really difficult. I also read that the replacement seals never are as good as the original. If it's a pretty easy task I may give it a shot one of these days as I would like to keep it going for as long a possible.

Thanks again for all the input.

Have you ever changed your PCV valve? I have an 06 2.4L with 105,341 miles on it as today. Put in a new cabin filter and checked out the odometer when I logged it in my maintnance note book like always with the date. I changed out my PCV with my latest oil change last month. I inherited the car and also added a full can of MOS2 with the oil change and plugs also. No smoke soo far--knockin on wood!! Good luck!!

Funny you say that. I literally ordered one yesterday. I'm hoping that helps. I've noticed my gas mileage has decreased lately too. We'll see.

Pretty well known issue on the 2007s. Dad has one with about ~80k and it burns about a quart every 3k miles. Issue was worked out for 2009 model year.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Have you ever changed your PCV valve? I have an 06 2.4L with 105,341 miles on it as today. Put in a new cabin filter and checked out the odometer when I logged it in my maintnance note book like always with the date. I changed out my PCV with my latest oil change last month. I inherited the car and also added a full can of MOS2 with the oil change and plugs also. No smoke soo far--knockin on wood!! Good luck!!

+1 on the PCV valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back