Help! Transmission fluid looks like Chocolate Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your going to want to do drain and fills on the pan contents with about 1,000 miles between to help with that reverse clunk. Once you get the fluid back to fresh color after a few drain and fills you might want to try leaving it in reverse at idle with the e brake on and the wheels chalked. I've heard some good things from doing that for a half hour or so, but you have to have fresh fluid and secure the vehicle so it doesn't roll. If the additives aren't fresh it probably won't do much. Ymmv

I agree with others that it doesn't look water-contaminated, but it looks really bad.

I wonder if the flush 12K miles ago was the first one it ever got, or if it was even done.

Lets see now, not gonna take tranny to a shop,ok, I can understand that and Im not a fan of dealerships, but maybe sometimes it is a good idea to see a shop, not all are crooks and if you ask around, you will find a good one, just saying.

If it was your heart or another vital organ, I would go see a doctor,imho

That is about how the fluid out of the transfer case at 3000 miles looked when I changed it on my 2013 Silverado. Enough metal shavings on the drain plug that it looked like a cat caught in a light socket. Makes me suspect of the type and quality of fluids at the factory fill.

To me, the ATF looks typical of most Toyota trannys that I've dumped! The previous owner probably only changed the ATF once in a while and, only with the 3 qts that drain out. Most Toyota ATF's look sort's Magenta in color when only a D&F is done. And it's gone a bit too long between changes...maybe!

I've seen worst!

It looks very clean on Nick1994's finger in the picture but, Magenta in the drain pan...like most I've seen! Keep in mind that these trannys hold more than the 3 qts, and the new ATF is mixing with 6-7 qts of old ATF in the tranny!

My wifes Lexus(doens't look as bad) but, has it's ATF D&F'd about every 18 months. And though, hers looks better than Nick's, it still looks Magenta when drained compared to the Cherry Red of the new ATF, regardless of brand. And Toyota T-IV ATF seems to get the discolored the most compared to the aftermarket ATF's, IMHO!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I agree with others that it doesn't look water-contaminated, but it looks really bad.

I wonder if the flush 12K miles ago was the first one it ever got, or if it was even done.

I agree, when I bought my civic at 165k it had even darker brown fluid.
I performed Honda suggested D & R 3x, drove 20 miles between each drain. Fluid is back to RED.
The transmission shifts perfectly and a whinning noise that came when going uphill is all gone now as well.

I used Castrol Import ATF
Maxlife ATF is cheaper and I recently used in my brother 06 civic and it shifts perfectly as well

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
To me, the ATF looks typical of most Toyota trannys that I've dumped! The previous owner probably only changed the ATF once in a while and, only with the 3 qts that drain out. Most Toyota ATF's look sort's Magenta in color when only a D&F is done. And it's gone a bit too long between changes...maybe!

I've seen worst!

It looks very clean on Nick1994's finger in the picture but, Magenta in the drain pan...like most I've seen! Keep in mind that these trannys hold more than the 3 qts, and the new ATF is mixing with 6-7 qts of old ATF in the tranny!

My wifes Lexus(doens't look as bad) but, has it's ATF D&F'd about every 18 months. And though, hers looks better than Nick's, it still looks Magenta when drained compared to the Cherry Red of the new ATF, regardless of brand. And Toyota T-IV ATF seems to get the discolored the most compared to the aftermarket ATF's, IMHO!

I wonder why? But mine have always drained as if they it was new red fluid. After receiving the initial 3x D&R method when purchased used then followed by 15K OCI

IF it's still clunking when shifting to reverse it could be one of two things: torque converter or clutch pack inside the tranny is wearing out.

Automatics don't last forever.

This is why you don't want to invest to much into older high mileage cars. Just drive it until the transmission goes. It might last 1k miles or another 100k miles, who knows.

When that time comes its either worth a $2k transmission or you junk it.

The fluid just looks very old, it might be original or very close to it. Typically in my experience Toyota ATF looks like that after it has some time on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I've seen worst!

I wonder why? But mine have always drained as if they it was new red fluid. After receiving the initial 3x D&R method when purchased used then followed by 15K OCI

IDK! My is not brown, it's still red-ish but often, off colored(brand dependent). Many that I have done at about 30K-40K miles look more like the Magenta that I described. Any longer, they start to go to brown and then black-ish.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just changed the transmission fluid in the pan in my Camry. I bought it 2 months ago and 2,800 miles ago. At 176k miles the previous owner had a transmission flush done at Brake Masters and the paper says they used Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. 3 quarts came out of the pan and it looks like chocolate milk. It has a little bit of a rough shift into reverse and when it shifts into 4th gear. (It's an automatic) I topped it off with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and haven't driven it yet. The coolant overflow bottle was full about 1.5-2 months ago when I topped it off after doing a water pump/ timing belt. There's a picture of the overflow a little low.

I saved some used transmission fluid in a bottle if that matters

My pictures are of it in a clean drain pan, and pics of it on my finger. Also of it on a paper towel of me pouring a little bit on.

Has the radiator gone and leaked into the transmission? What do I do?

2nbd35c.jpg

o5xf78.jpg

27ybmo3.jpg

2eld274.jpg

What does a brake shop know about trans flushes?

If you have an old coleman camping stove and an old pot put some ATF with some water in the pot and see how it boils the water off when heated. Then do the same with the fluid from the trany and if it has water in it you will see the water boil off.

Looks like the typical brown color of the subaru branded Dex III…one of the main reasons I stopped using the product was because of the color …the vehicles driving habits can be very mixed and I tend to judge the condition of ATF by the state of its pink color...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back