Gas vs Diesel Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a significant difference between the two, other than that diesel oil filters tend to be larger? Do they use different elements?

If you could find an oil filter that is intended for a diesel engine, but fit on your gas block, would it be OK to use? How about the other way around?

Thanks

JC

I think I pulled a few diesel filters out of the boxes in the parts store. Seems the center hole is a lot bigger than the automotive filter. I don't think you can switch, but maybe someone else knows better.

There are larger automotive filters. What filter does your vehicle take? Some models can be substituted if the specifications are similar. I am running oversized filters on all my vehicles.

[ May 27, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

this is actually regarding a post on another forum about a guy upsizing the filer on a VW to a diesel one. I don't think it would create a problem but I wanted to check with the experts.

Good question! I've been wondering this myself, precisely for a certain filter swap as well. For Hondas, as well as other cars using the same mounts (mine is a Mitsu-Mopar), the Wix 51568 and Baldwin B168 have 243 and 213 sq in of media, respectively. Drainback and bypass valves are basically compatible as well. These are truly "mega-filters" for Hondas, and they should fit per the catalogs' specs, but I don't know of anyone who has used them, including myself. (In comparison, the Honda-application Bosch 3312 has a pathetic 81 sq in.)

The "vehicle application" listings for these filters only show various commercial/industrial diesel engine applications, so I was wondering if there's good reason NOT to use 'em, but haven't come up with anything yet.

If these diesel engines put out an equivalent oil flow and oil pressure as Hondas (don't know), then they should be fully compatible, I would think. Diesels put out more soot and are often used in gritty or off-road applications, so this alone would suggest larger capacity (bigger filters), which you've noticed. They MIGHT also have more rugged components to better withstand matters such as vibration, extended service intervals, etc., and MIGHT have thicker shells for off-road construction equip. None of this would prevent use on a car, of course. I've never read of any differences between gas and diesel filter medias -- each firm has their "Badass 5000" media -- whatever names they give their medias -- which seem to be used across their various filter lines, regardless of application. I think I've seen one or two medias that are unique to heavy diesels, but it seems marketing-driven (such as for extended drains), rather than truly need-based.

In short, I guess if you can verify that the diesel engines which use a given filter put out the ballpark oil flow -- or at least pressure -- that your ride does, it should be perfectly safe to use. I'm not sure that that's even necessary since you'll never burst the shell, and the bypass setting is correct -- what else could go wrong..??? At least I can't see otherwise...

For those with Hondas...

I did an additional search and discovered that at least some of the engines the Wix and Baldwin filters above are meant for are in the 25 HP range, so these are smaller diesel engines with presumably less oil flow than a 100-200 HP gasoline car engine. The filters might be designed accordingly...and perhaps appropriate ONLY for these smaller industrial engines.? I'll stay away from 'em for now...

On my 97 gmc truck, the same oil filter is used for the 6.5 turbo diesel and the 454 big-block gas motor.

I would like to find a larger filter for my application but am having a hard time finding one.

patriot.gif

[ June 02, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: steiner43511 ]

On my 97 gmc truck, the same oil filter is used for the 6.5 turbo diesel and the 454 big-block gas motor.

I would like to find a larger filter for my application but am having a hard time finding one.

patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back