Toyota Corolla 2011 - which 0 or 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

My father has this 2011 Toyota Corolla 1.6 which seems to ask 0 or 5W-20 oil. Other viscosities are allowed but that is the recommendation.

Dad is 77 this year and drives maybe 5000 miles mixed driving per year.

We have very few suitable available in the stores: Mobil 1 0W-20 and Castrol Magnatec Professional-E 5W-20

I found today a webshop which has the following oils available:

Honda Synthetic Blend 0W-20
Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic 0W-20
Mitsubishi Diamond Cleartec 0W-20

Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-20
Honda Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic 5W-20
Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend
Mopar MaxPro 5W-20
Motorcraft 5W-20 Full Synthetic

Furthermore, the webshop owner said today that they will get also Toyota 0W-20 within a couple of weeks.

What would you recommend of the above or just go with the locally available Mobil 1 0W-20?

Thanks in advance.

The 2011 corolla specifies 0w20. If 5w20 is used it states to go back to the 0w next oil change. Of the above listings I'd either go with Honda full synthetic or toyota. The Honda oil is made by conoco phillips which I highly recommend. You could join amsoils preferred customer program and order amsoil oe 0w20 which comes in around $5.85 a quart shipped tax included

It's a Toyota which will last seemingly forever on any oil you choose. If I lived in Finland, my first choice would be an 0W20. I would go ahead and buy Mobil 1 0W20 if it's cheaper locally.
If you buy from a web-shop, get the Toyota 0W20.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I wouldnt bother putting than cost more than 20-25/5qt in a Corolla.

Just a quick note to put things in perspective before I leave from work:

above mentioned Mobil 1 0W-20 costs about USD 21.80 per litre here.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
He's in Finland folks.

What 0w-20 is reasonably priced and easy to obtain?

+1

@Finn go with whatever is the cheaper option on the list of oils you posted and rest easy.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
He's in Finland folks.

What 0w-20 is reasonably priced and easy to obtain?

Agree. Buy whichever is cheapest or easiest to get. That engine is not very picky.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Mobil 0W-20 AFE - using it in our 2010 Corolla - Bought it for $29 for 4.4L

-37C with the windchill today.

... and my Focus, filled with dino 5w30, had absolutely no trouble starting.

BTW. It was only -10C or so this morning
wink.gif
. Quoting wind chill temp. may sound impressive, but has no relevance on cold engine starting performance.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

wink.gif
. Quoting wind chill temp. may sound impressive, but has no relevance on cold engine starting performance.

It was -25C actual temp.
Never said wind chill had an effect on starting "oh picky one".
But thank you for the info, any other jewels of wisdom you care to share?

So why would you mention only the wind chill value? Do you expect us to look up the wind speed for that time and region and calculate the dry bulb temp?
Wet bulb temp. is meaningless in these types of discussions.

wink.gif

It was -25C actual temp.

Bahahahaha.
My cars thermometer said -37f this morning on my way to work. With the windchill it was -millions but anyways.

Op. If the vehicle is only getting 5000 kms a year I suggest using whatever oil you can source the cheapest and change the oil yearly.
If you're going to spend the extra money on synthetic my favourites from your list are M1 0w-20 AFE and TGMO 0w-20.
If you are going to spend extra on synthetic then I suggest changing the oil every second year. At 5000kms a year a synthetic is still fine for service and at the quoted prices I'd get my money's worth from the added expense.
M1 0w-20 AFE has proven itself on this forum in various engines and gone up to 22000 miles and the used oil analysis still showed the oil was still serviceable so don't fear extended drains.

Wow, you're the one who said it, with no qualifiers. You implied that it did make a difference, by stating only that temperature.

wink.gif

It was -25C actual temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back