remote mount transmission filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone here has tried it and noticed good results I'm referring to the remote mount trans filter spin on cartridge. and is it safe to use standard motor oil filters with trans fluid?

Years ago I did run a remote engine oil filter, but I have not tried a remote trans filter of that sort. Transmissions run a higher oil pressure and I'd be concerned with using a conventional paper style engine oil filter as I assume they are not spec'ed for that kind of pressure.

I'm not judging, but I'm curious why you believe it is necessary to run a trans filter like that ?
What's the application ?

I used a remote filter hooked into the cooler line in my old 1988 F-250 back in the late 90's. I used a standard 1 quart oil filter. It captured the friction material that usually ended up in the pan. If you have room to mount the filter, go for it.

Mounted one on the 4 Runner many years ago. No issues noted. Changed it every 30K along with fluid.

I have one on my Buick wagon, never an issue. I change the filter once every 10k miles. I'll do it less now that it doesn't see severe towing duty, that is now done by the Suburban.

I think the Magnefine is all you need. It also has a magnet which a normal fluid filter would not have. I have never measured the pressure in the cooling line, but given they use those small (cheap) spring clamps on the rubber line, the pressure is not too high. It also does not seem high looking at it when doing the cooling line exchange and its coming out the end of the hose.

But I am confident the PSI is less than the oil PSI in the engine.

Last edited:
I have used the spin on filters for a few of my vehicles. The first was a 1985 Jeep and then a 1987 F150. I currently have a spin on set up on my Dakota. Never had any problems with any of them. I have used all kinds of filters including Fram Extra Guards with no issues. I usually change the filter yearly. I currently have a Wix filter on the Dakota. Before that I had a Motorcraft filter which I cut open. It looked great after a year. There are pictures here. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Cut#Post3156790

I have a Racor LFS on my CVLX. Its pretty big; designed for medium-duty trucks. Filters REALLY well. I think nominal is 7 micron. Flows 8GPM. I just changed the filter here recently and cut it open. Should have pics shortly.

Link for the Racor; I use it on my truck.
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER...00032a71dacRCRD

Among regular filters, if you can get a look at the big WIX, NAPA, or Baldwin filter catalogs, you can find a filter by thread, gasket dimension, and usage. Some are listed as engine oil only, some as either engine oil or transmission. Of course, a spin on hydraulic oil filter with an internal bypass will do a great job.

The vehicle is a 1994 volvo 940 turbo with lotsssss of mods! running boost @ 25psi, and the power is going thru a built aw71 trans kevlar clutches, high stall converter And extra clutches in 2&3rd.. But anyhow it looks like it can't hurt to run it. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back