What do you use to lubricate inside door latches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP9

Just had to replace a door latch assembly a couple months back due to a broken spring. As I have fairly large hands, it was kind of a pain to do, and I'd like to put off having to do it again as long as possible, and this is a vehicle I plan on keeping until it has fallen apart and I am unable to put it back together.

What is the best way to lubricate the latch itself (not the door hinges and not the keyhole/cylinder)? The way I see it: Penetrating oils seem like they wouldn't last long and could even wash away existing grease; white lithium grease may not penetrate deep enough and could attract dirt; graphite could also be messy and not penetrate deep enough.

You are talking about the door check which is near the hinge? Or the latch and lock on the edge of the door?

CarWell or Amsoil metal protector or white lith. grease.

Last edited:
White lithium grease. Yes, it will get a bit scuzzy over time. It's why I wipe down all my door jambs whenever I wash the car.

A dry flube would be good in environmentally exposed areas. If you have a litle Liqui_Moly hanging around its a good slide and hinge lube.

For years I have used Super Lube synthetic spray lube with Teflon. I now use and MOS2 spray lube with evaporating carrier. Both are good. The Super Lube maintained by Accord Coupe hinges for 23 years with no door sag.

I just use a little engine oil like my manuals say.
smile.gif

I think the operative concept here is lube your hinges. As long as you do it regularly with some decent lubricant you should be fine. It's the ones that never lube them that will have issues if they keep the vehicle for more than a few years.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I cannot imagine what this must cost.

The HHS-K/HHS 2000??

The last time I bought some it was from my mechanic when he let me add onto his own order.
It was ~$16.00/can if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
For years I have used Super Lube synthetic spray lube with Teflon. I now use and MOS2 spray lube with evaporating carrier. Both are good. The Super Lube maintained by Accord Coupe hinges for 23 years with no door sag.

Be careful with the Super Lube synthetic because it is not EPDM compatible and I "think" that most vehicle weather stripping is made of EPDM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back