Fram X2 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really curious about this fram X2 oil filter. I know fram generally makes crappy oil filters but i have heard some positive things about this filter but out of the numerous oil filter studies i have seen i have not seen any photos of the X2 taken apart. I have heard that it has metal endcaps instead of cardboard like the extra guard and tough guard has anyway does anyone know of a site that has internal photos of this filter of have photos they can post so i can see the internals of this filter? Thanks

I believe you can find a bunch o' info on this through the "Search" feature. A better Fram filter for sure, but I believe it still has a center tube which has modest total hole area, reflecting potential flow concerns. Older Frams were known to perforate their media where it contacted these holes (and probably for other reasons as well).

Grease is the word, will be adding a few filters (including the x2)to his mercruiser/pf1218 study in about a week. There will be much more info available from that study, than is currently posted on this site.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

I've waxed poetic on here several times in praise of the X2, as I'm sure many know. Though I don't have any solid, scientific proof (as will hopefully be contained in the oil filter study), I have cut open a few X2's. They appear to be a very excellent filter. There is no need to worry about the filter element tearing on the center tube because there is a mesh screen behind the element which prevents this and adds support to the element.

Ironduke4, my advice to you would be to buy any and all filters you are interested in using for YOUR specific application, cutting them apart, do some research, and make the decision yourself. I know the X2's are still limited in applications, so are you sure FRAM even makes one for your vehicle? I think it is a very well built filter, on par with the Mobil 1 (which, BTW, is reported to have poor oil flow properties) and the K&N. I've got no hesitation of its' higher price tag.

I used the search feature on this site i don't know why i did not think of that before anyway i found the internal photos of the FRAM X2 oil filter i was wanting to see and i have to say i am shocked that fram actually makes a good oil filter. I have a FRAM X2 XG16 for my 1994 dodge shadow but it cost so much that i did not want to cut it open but now i don't have too. I really wish that they were cheaper as $10 it a little much but i am probably not going to be buying them a lot. My favorite brands are wix,acdelco and purolator i also use stp and supertech fiters on occation also.

Isn't that like an $8-10 Fram oil filter. Even if it's better constructed than the "regular" Fram oil filters it's still expensive for the "pedigree" of the rest of their oil filters. For that price you can get a K&N or Mobil 1 oil filter. And probably for the $3-$6 range you can get many better "bang for the buck" oil filters such as Motorcraft, AC Delco, Wix/Napa and Baldwin/Hastings. There are probably others out there that also offer more value. Heck for $2 the Walmart ST oil filter seems to offer great value.

Whimsey

It's alot better than the regular Fram filters, but it's still has a few problems. It's ADBV and bypass are still the cheap designs used on their $3 filter, and IMO are more of a problem than the cardboard endcaps.

Maybe worth $2, but not worth $10. I'd take the Supertech.

-T

What's wrong with the ADBV? It is silicone, just like most other "good" filters use. Unless you know the chemical make-up of FRAM's silicone to say it isn't any good property-wise, I'd have to disagree. Also, despite FRAM's BPV being a different design (plastic) than some others, no one has ever proven them not to work.
As I've had to say in every other post I've done for the X2, I'm not trying to start a flame war. However, I am sick of people, who most likely have never bought or used an X2, bad-mouthing it by lumping it in with other FRAM filters of the past. They are the same arguments over and over, with little to no substance.
Time to let go of the past, people. If you don't want to use FRAM filters on your car, then by all means don't. But unless you have first-hand knowledge/proof, not simply a "my buddy's brother" story, please don't interject speculation.

cheers.gif

The ADBV is very thin and has no inner support. Every other filter on the market has some form of inner support, to keep the ADBV from collasping. I've seen this happen first hand in Fram filters. The Bypass(on filter that use one) is a piece of spring loaded plastic. Others have said this can easily become un-seated and fail.

-T

quote:

The Bypass(on filter that use one) is a piece of spring loaded plastic. Others have said this can easily become un-seated and fail.

With all due respect, you have pretty much just admitted what I eluded to earlier - speculation, what "others" have said. Thanks, but I'll pass.

And now the FRAM ADBV's are no good? I always thought it was the center tube collapsing that made them junk? No...wait...it was the cardboard endcaps. No...wait...it was the poor filtering media. No...wait...it was the paper-thin metal body.
banghead.gif

Now, I admit that I don't have an MBA, but it seems to me that ANY filter that has ALL of the problems FRAM filters are "reported" to have would not last on the market long. How could they? The company would be broke! Either in pay outs to jury's, damages, whatever, no company could stay in business anywhere near as long as FRAM has if all of these "reported" problems were true. Not unless they were giving away their product for dirt cheap. Oh, but wait a minute, that brings us to another problem with FRAM filters - they're overpriced! Can someone please explain to me how a company (Honeywell) could sell total junk (FRAM oil filters) at an overinflated price (anything over $2, right?) to the mass market (FRAM's are available just about everywhere) and still keep the product line going? I'm sure someone's friends' uncle's mechanic would know.
rolleyes.gif

Z-

[ May 11, 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

fram is kind of like turtle wax... the average joe on the street recognizes the name and buys the product based on name recognition. No true detailer would go out and buy up Turtle wax, just like the oil guy would not go stock up on Fram's.

I heard some good reviews of the x2's construction, I was interested... so I the X2 for 5,000 mi interval w/M1 w/o out any noticable problems. It seems like a decent filter, but I would not stock up on them.

[ May 11, 2004, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: OiledMustangGT ]

Here we know a little more than the mass market. Fram obviously put profits before quality; and these quality issues are not hearsay they come from personal experiences. The X2 is their best filter but IMO it's over priced, and more importantly it comes from a company with poor ethics so why would I support that?
Frams may have or have not led to major engine failures, we have no way of knowing? They can save X amount of $ by cutting corners, and pay out X amount of $ in possible lawsuits and still come out ahead, so they figure.

[ May 11, 2004, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

Zits if you do a search this has been discussed before. I have always said Frams ADBVs were bad. I never said anything about the center tube, other than that it is loose, and little about the cardboard end caps. The design and craftsmenship are their major problems. For those that are curious, do a search, there is a several page long topic already.

cheers.gif

-T

T-Keith,

Please don't think I was directing my comments directly at you. I'm very aware it's been discussed before. Actually, haven't you and I been the two to "discuss" it the most?
wink.gif

My comments were geared more towards the general comments, including those made in this Topic, which I keep reading over and over again ref FRAM oil filters. However, I am trying to focus more on the X2, as I believe it to be a superior oil filter. Sure, it may be high priced, but so is the K&N, which no one seems to complain about. Yes, I do believe the K&N to be a very good filter. Yet, ask yourself (and be honest) - how much better is it than Motorcraft, PureOne, Baldwin, Wix, etc.? I'll leave it at that in regards to the K&N, because I don't want to steer off topic too much.

Anyway, I still haven't read anything here in regards to the X2 -SPECIFICALLY- which contradicts my belief in the X2. Most peoples' comments refer to past FRAM stories (true or not) and the regular FRAM oil filters. I feel the X2 may be a turning point for FRAM, and it should be given a chance without speculation thrown in which hasn't been verified. Hopefully, valid, scientific, independent tests will confirm this. Maybe they won't.
dunno.gif
I don't know. But until that time, I will continue to have complete faith in the X2, high price or not.

patriot.gif

[ May 12, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

I agree the X2 is a much better filter than the regular Fram. I also agree some complaints about Fram are unfounded.

IMO, the X2 has some other problems. Hopefully I can fully test one soon.

The K&N is a good filter(if overpriced), I think it's one redeeming quality is it's unmatched flow(in Grease's study at least). Not sure how the X2 will stack up in that respect.

-T

We'll have an X2 in the upcoming Grease study. All tests results are in and I should be posting by next Friday (21st). I'm reworking the format with links so that it isn't all on one page. Since I've added 7 or 8 filters it was getting kind of ugly.

I've been using the Fram x2 series of filters in my Honda Prelude and Jeep Grand Cherokee without any bad oil test results. (Insoluable levels of less then 0.5% after 7500 miles.)

The Fram x2 filter, unlike most other Fram filters, is a HEAVY duty filter.

Pictures of the STARK constrast between the x2 and the other Fram filters can be seen in these two pictures:

Normal (cardboard) Fram Tough Guard filter picture link.

Fram x2 Filter separted into components (link).

Picture of reenforcement screen in Fram x2 2-ply synthetic / natural media (link).

The Fram x2 is a suitable replacement for the K&N, Mobil 1, or A/C Delco filters (all made by Champion Labs).

I agree with the second and third sentences. Not sure if I agree with the last one though.
wink.gif

Unless they come out with a better ADBV and centering design, it's not even a good substitute for a Supertech IMO. Love the screen reenforced media though.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back