MIT future lubrication direction preso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presentation on the early stages of a lubricant optimisation programme from the MIT.

I'm impressed with the mid stroke viscosity optimisation concept to keep the viscosity up at the stroke ends (reduced boundary lubrication), while reducing the viscosity mid stroke where full hydrodynamic is in play.

Interesting (obvious 'though) on additive concentration in aras of oil volatising off...explains why volatility is important, and why the tests ARE representative of whathappens in an engine (hint, it's not about crankcase ventilation).

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2012/friday/presentations/deer12_wong.pdf

I too liked the concept of differentially altering liner temps. so viscosity is increased at the ends. Polymer VIIs can have a similar effect, at least qualitatively, since temporary shear thinning is greater mid-stroke than near the ends due to the piston velocity profiles. Keep HTHS constant by lowering base oil viscosity and increasing polymer concentration. That would increase temporary shear thinning, maintain true viscosity mid-stroke and increase true viscosity near stroke ends. Thanks Shannow.

JAG, I was thinking the same in the shower this morning...about shear thinning that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back