long term use of quaker state oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a neighbor who has a ford focus with 285xxx miles and a f150 with 220xxx on it and its a total work truck.

For the last 20years he's used quakerstate and he mentioned something about the oil being the only oil that stays its viscosity even after the oil is due to be changed...

I was thinking about using it in my toys, I already had an old jug on the shelf and basically, the bottle says what he said, so I'm kinda second guessing his (belief)

So I guess my question is, is there something special about quakerstate oils compared to how other oils are tested? I know its cheap at wallyworld... here its a buck more then supertech lol

I getting ready to service 3 toys here in the next month or so, I might make a switch to qs or delvac but I'd like to hear some input from those much more knowledgeable in decoding engine sale hype

Last edited:
What are your three toys?

(and for those that are following, please don't turn this into a NOACK/GTL discussion)

3.0 mercrusier, 89 tbi 350, 85carbed 350 volvo engine, possibly my 85 carbed 454

And no, I don't want a best oil thread, I'm looking at long term use with this oil

Last edited:
It is a fine oil for long term use. We used it exclusively in our taxi fleet for a lot of years, mostly with small block Chevy engines, which lasted hundreds of thousands of miles each.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
3.0 mercrusier, 89 tbi 350, 85carbed 350 volvo engine, possibly my 85 carbed 454

Are these all marine engines?

Sounds like a bunch of boats. I would pass over the green bottle and go right to the heavy duty oil, such as Delvac or Rotella. 10W30 or 15W40.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Sounds like a bunch of boats.

Is that what you meant to say or is that your autocorrect talking?

quaker state is a good oil but no better than the others like super tech or valvoline or any of the others with the same ratings.... If they were they would advertise it believe me. buy the cheapest oil with the ratings you need and your engine will run a long long time.. In reality oil is oil its like splitting hairs. If its priced good buy it if not buy something else.

Actually sopus products tend to run on the lighter side of the grade so they have a higher chance of going into the high side of a lower grade. That is of course unless we're talking about PU which uses GTL base stocks and has superior shear resistance. (I couldn't resist)

Hi guys, the 3.0and the Volvo are the only marine motors, but the 454 motor in my suburban was a marine engine in the beginning of its life.

I'm seriously thinking about switching everything over to the delvac 1540.

Last night I stumbled upon a retired gent with the same exact boat as me at the gas station, we chatted for a few and his boat has 2586 hrs on the ticker... I asked him what oil he's run and he said (diesel 1540, name brand or cheap )

Sometimes I over think things but for my Death Valley climate I think going hdeo is the best option for engine life of a truck

I think the only long term effect of using Quaker State oil is having lots of green bottles build up around your shop. Unless you throw them out, of course.

I'm seriously thinking about switching everything over to the delvac 1540.

That'd be a great choice, except for one caveat -- how cold does it get where you operate that Suburban?

In that case, you're good to go (even back in '85, 15w-40 was approved by GM down to 10°F in your 454). Enjoy the Delvac!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
In that case, you're good to go (even back in '85, 15w-40 was approved by GM down to 10°F in your 454). Enjoy the Delvac!

So since u seem like a 1540 fan, can you clarify this for me?

Is ALL 1540 oil the same rated oil (diesel grade)? I ask cause I think supertech makes a 5quart jug for like under $13 at my WalMart.

If this is the case, I think I'll start getting oil for the fleet here in a few days... I'll still check the rotella/delvac bottle for the ratings and compare it to the jugs they have but I'm just a tad curious to know NOW! lol

All 15w40 is not created equal. Just like passenger Car oil you have different formulations to meet even the same specs. Depending on her long you plan on keeping the oil in service, you would probably be well suited to using the Supertech unless you want to extend your drain interval otherwise you might want to pay extra for something stronger.

Here are some quick searchs I found.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1633073

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1415835

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1166942

Check the dates though some formulas might be different now just showing you examples of additive differences.

Is ALL 1540 oil the same rated oil (diesel grade)? I ask cause I think supertech makes a 5quart jug for like under $13 at my WalMart.

If this is the case, I think I'll start getting oil for the fleet here in a few days... I'll still check the rotella/delvac bottle for the ratings and compare it to the jugs they have but I'm just a tad curious to know NOW! lol

I'm a fan of the right oil for the application -- hence why I have 5w-20 in my 225,000 mile farm pickup.

You'll find that most of the mainline ratings (API, ACEA, Caterpillar, Cummins, Volvo, etc) will be identical, with a bit of variance on down the line -- for example, Rotella carries JASO MA, whereas Delvac sports the CF-2 approval.

Super Tech 15w-40 is a fine product, although unknown beyond what you see on the label (Citgo, Warren, or whoever was the cheapest source at that time could end up bottle) -- if I were trying to go with the lowest price possible for whatever reason, then I'd pick up some large jugs.

With that said, for your applications, I'd still select Delvac. It's a solid, well-known product (great base oil/additive package) at a really good price.

Mobil Delvac 15w40 is spark ignition rated "SM".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back