Rotella 15W40 in 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm doing some routine maintenance on my great uncles 90 Toyota pickup with the 22RE. I've been driving it for the last week or so and notice it is burning some oil. He purchased the truck brand new, and for the last 120,000 or so has been running Valvoline full synthetic 5W30. Still seems to run quite well other than that and has never been abused or neglected. I put Rotella 15W40 in a few days ago and no consumption issues so far.

Would you guys see me having any issues with running the Rotella? I was going to go with a High Mileage oil to see if that would slow/stop oil consumption, but I had some Rotella given to me, so I figured why not.

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson
Would you guys see me having any issues with running the Rotella?

None whatsoever -- even back in 1990, Toyota approved 15w-40 in the 22R-E down to 10°F.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: clintonhutson
Would you guys see me having any issues with running the Rotella?

None whatsoever -- even back in 1990, Toyota approved 15w-40 in the 22R-E down to 10°F.

Awesome! I did some searching and saw that a bunch of people ran HDEO, but I didn't know that it was actually Toyota approved back then!.

Yea, the 22R's weren't a high reving engine(that would benefit from a e.g. 5W30) that I am aware of so, a heavier oil(15w40) is a good choice for those applications IMHO!

Plus, aren't those 22R's kind'a indestructable?
smile.gif

Just asking!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yea, the 22R's weren't a high reving engine(that would benefit from a e.g. 5W30) that I am aware of so, a heavier oil(15w40) is a good choice for those applications IMHO!

Plus, aren't those 22R's kind'a indestructable?
smile.gif

Just asking!

Agreed...and yeah, that's always what I've heard and been told.

Has 196,000 on it currently...and all he has ever done to it is routine maintenance.

Yeah, that's a rock solid engine. Modern 5w30 is considered "thin".

I would probably check the valve clearances as they may need adjusting like any old japanese motor from the early 90s.

Your only enemy for this truck is vacuum leaks. Lots of vacuum tubes in old toyotas.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Yeah, that's a rock solid engine. Modern 5w30 is considered "thin".

I would probably check the valve clearances as they may need adjusting like any old japanese motor from the early 90s.

Your only enemy for this truck is vacuum leaks. Lots of vacuum tubes in old toyotas.

Yeah I saw that. And I could check the valve clearances...but honestly, I'm not too worried about it. The only reason I went to the heavier oil was because it burns about a quart every 2500 miles or so...and my uncle is getting pretty forgetful in his old age. Haha!

Not sure I'd make the leap to 15w40 just yet. If the Rotella was free, I suppose there's no harm in using it, but I think I'd be more inclined to try a HM 5w30, and then maybe a HM 10w40.

Nah, the 22R is a really rugged, low-tech, old-school engine. Thick oils were approved and it likes them. One of the handful of Toyota products that I truly admire!

I think I'm going to run it through this OCI and see how the old motor likes it. I am inclined to try the T6 5W-40 and that's probably what would have went in it...if the other oil wasn't free. Haha.

I actually found that my '86 Mazda 4-cylinder burns more HDEO, 15W40, than PCMO, 5W30. I really can't explain it but the G-Oil, 5W30, burns less than Rotella 15W40 and Mobil Delvac, 15W40. I've got some Valvoline NexGen MaxLife, 10W40, that I will be jumping on soon. I haven't ran high mileage oil in the Mazdariati in a few years due to free G-Oil, so I'm hoping for even lower consumption.

Additionally, I tried Rotella T6, 5W40, and it did quiet the engine, but it burned it just as easy as conventional HDEO, so it was a moot point. I only had the T6 in the truck for a year that it hibernated and received less than 500 miles the entire year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cancov
I actually found that my '86 Mazda 4-cylinder burns more HDEO, 15W40, than PCMO, 5W30. I really can't explain it but the G-Oil, 5W30, burns less than Rotella 15W40 and Mobil Delvac, 15W40. I've got some Valvoline NexGen MaxLife, 10W40, that I will be jumping on soon. I haven't ran high mileage oil in the Mazdariati in a few years due to free G-Oil, so I'm hoping for even lower consumption.

Additionally, I tried Rotella T6, 5W40, and it did quiet the engine, but it burned it just as easy as conventional HDEO, so it was a moot point. I only had the T6 in the truck for a year that it hibernated and received less than 500 miles the entire year.

Hmmmm....interesting. Like I said, I'll give it a go...and if it does well I might stick with it or go to Maxlife. I guess we shall see.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When the timing chain starts rattling constantly replace it and the guides before it wears through the timing cover and dumps the coolant in the oil.

Thanks and no rattling yet. I know that was an issue on these 22RE with the plastic guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back