Yanmar Diesel Smoking Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a post up a couple weeks back about a yanmar l40 diesel engine i acquired.I am having one problem with it seems to produce a blue / white smoke (And before you tell me its burning oil, it isn't) it is worst when it is cold but is also noticeable when it is running at high rpm at any temperature 2800rpm+ i believe the smoke is from raw fuel that is not being burned it also burns your eyes like [censored]. As a result i decided to disassemble the injector and injector pump and clean them out, but this made no difference, but i also noticed there was two copper shims on the fuel pump (Both of the same thickness) which are used to set the injection timing, i tried to remove one of them which advances the injection timing and try again and it definitely made a difference there was hardly any smoke but yet it was still it was smokey on start up for about two minutes (the same blue / white smoke) and then cleared, i noticed there was slightly more diesel knock than before. Then i had ago at removing both of the shims altogether to further advance the timing, and this time there was no smoke at all but there was a lot of diesel knock.

what do you think the reason is for the smoke? And how much do these diesel engines normally smoke?

Last edited:
What does blowby look like? If you didn't set the pop pressure and match the injectors, you didn't do anything for it. Cleaning isn't enough.

The knocking is from the Injection Timing being too Fast/Advanced. Yanmar has Injection Timing specs....Follow them.
Spec is probably around 10 BTDC, You could be running 30 degrees or more!!!! Causing excessive cylinder pressure(The knocking sound)

The injectors & pump need to be taken to a "Diesel injector/pump service shop" & checked.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The knocking is from the Injection Timing being too Fast/Advanced. Yanmar has Injection Timing specs....Follow them.
Spec is probably around 10 BTDC, You could be running 30 degrees or more!!!! Causing excessive cylinder pressure(The knocking sound)

The injectors & pump need to be taken to a "Diesel injector/pump service shop" & checked.

Yes but one needs to understand if it is from a misaligned rack or from an incorrect pressure setting on the injector.

Fuel washing down the cylinder walls could cause some oil to burn too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back