Does Techron work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hsnberg
The pictures on the bottle are pretty dramatic, and I wasn't sure whether to believe it. The entire "fluids and chemicals" section at Autozone totally reeks of "snake oil."

They typically will work in those situations. The question should really be whether or not an engine suffers from an issue that can be solved by one of these products.

A lot of marketing is really about convincing buyers that they need a particular product. If one consistently uses a high detergent gasoline, then megadose fuel system treatments are unnecessary. Sometimes I use small doses of Red Line SI-1 when I use a gasoline that may not be Top Tier or otherwise high detergent.

Shampoo makers have convinced customers to use it twice to get a good lather, even though lather doesn't necessarily mean cleanliness. It's mostly marketing.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think "do I need it" is a more important question than "would it work if I did".

This is a very valid question. A few weeks ago, when researching the amount of detergents in different grades of gas, I ran across a Q&A section. This is directly from the ChevronTexaco website.

"Do I need to use a Fuel System Cleaner if I buy only gas with Techron®?

If you have been exclusively using gasoline with Techron® for some time, your car will not be affected by performance-robbing deposits. A bottle of Fuel System Cleaner, therefore, is not likely to provide any additional benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality fuel, you could try the Fuel System Cleaner to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation.
"

It appears the answer to the question "Do I need it?" is, "It depends." If you regularly use Chevron or Texaco gas, then the answer is "no". I would go so far as to say, if you use any Top Tier fuel, then the answer is "Probably not". But if you buy grocery store gas, then the answer is "Yes".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back