Oil for high mileage civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have: 97 Honda Civic Ex with 220k
2. What your owner's manual says: 5w30 with API starburst
3. Where you live: Georgia
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): easy (60-65 highway)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): mainly highway with some stop and go traffic
6. Whether your car has any known problems: no problems with engine.

Been running whatever oil is on sale with a pure one filter. Current fill is Mobile Clean 5000 (clearance). I have noticed it runs noisier than when my father in law had the car and he always took it to Firestone and had Kendall Syn Blend in it. What are y'all's thoughts on Honda Genuine Syn Blend being it's made by same people who make Kendall( ConocoPhillips) . I cannot find Kendall anywhere in my area but there is a Honda dealership close to my job. So Honda Genuine or some other oil like PYB or Valvoline? I want to run one oil and stick with it and not buy whatever's on sale.

Also plan on doing 5000 to 7500 OCI.

Last edited:
I'd consider trying Motorcraft. It's also a ConocoPhillips product and available at Walmart and most auto parts stores.

Mobil oils aren't known for being the quietest out there. HGMO isn't anything special. I'd run anything off the shelf at your local Walmart. QS is well-regarded around here for quieting down engines.

I'd also look at the valve clearances like the user above me said. Honda's may need to periodically have the valves inspected and/or adjusted. I had my Accord's adjusted when the valve cover gasket was replaced at the dealer not long ago. It did indeed quiet down the engine a little. Like Eric the Car Guy says, a good valve adjustment and a tight timing belt should make a Honda engine run like nobody's business.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
QS is well-regarded around here for quieting down engines.

^^This and/or Valvoline dino really runs smooth and quiet.

I've run Mobil oil a few times in my sister's '05 Civic and have noticed it is a little noisier.

I have run Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, and Valvoline MaxLife with great results. It was nice and smooth. It currently has SuperTech Synthetic in it and runs great on that as well.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
1. What kind of vehicle you have: 97 Honda Civic Ex with 220k
2. What your owner's manual says: 5w30 with API starburst
3. Where you live: Georgia
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): easy (60-65 highway)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): mainly highway with some stop and go traffic
6. Whether your car has any known problems: no problems with engine.

Been running whatever oil is on sale with a pure one filter. Current fill is Mobile Clean 5000 (clearance). I have noticed it runs noisier than when my father in law had the car and he always took it to Firestone and had Kendall Syn Blend in it. What are y'all's thoughts on Honda Genuine Syn Blend being it's made by same people who make Kendall( ConocoPhillips) . I cannot find Kendall anywhere in my area but there is a Honda dealership close to my job. So Honda Genuine or some other oil like PYB or Valvoline? I want to run one oil and stick with it and not buy whatever's on sale.

Also plan on doing 5000 to 7500 OCI.

Honda's Owner Manual for 96-00 Civics suggests OCI
Normal Driving Conditions: 7500 miles & filter every other oil change
Severe Driving Conditions: 3750 miles & filter every other oil change

I think your conditions fall under normal. That manual is for Dino oils from back then, if I were you, do 10k OCI on PYB with fram ultra oil filter changes every other oil change. All of that if your engine is in good shape.

If you do burn oil, keep the oil topped off, fresh oil would require an oil change later rather then sooner.

I have a '99 EX with 190k and I don't think the engine is very picky. I've tried various conventional oils (mostly PYB & Chevron), HM oils (Maxlife & Pennzoil) and full syn (Ultra and M1) and all UOAs came back fine. No real difference in engine noise or any noticeable driving differences. The only differences are some differences in oil usage, mostly with the syns.

That said, it's also well maintained with valve adjustments regularly performed and timely oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063

Been running whatever oil is on sale with a pure one filter.

Already a solid combo. You have many filter choices though if you so choose.

See this thread also: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...uestions#UNREAD

Civic. Corolla. What's the difference?
laugh.gif

Maxlife is cheap at Walmart, I wouldn't pay extra for the Motorcraft. It works well in my old Pontiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back