Rod Bearing Failure Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late to edit, it's the intake side, without corresponding marks on the exhaust side, though there is more wear on the exhaust side than the other pistons. Is this the source of the noise in the videos? Lubrication failure?

Last edited:
4gq9v4.jpg

Speaking of coolant, looking at the damage to the water pump housing from cavitation just proves to me the importance of maintaining your cooling system... Not overusing coolant, periodically testing/replacing the pressure cap...

It's probably been changed so many times since it happened it's hard to tell, prob overheated, and or run low on oil. Definitely a thrust side seizure.

The timing chain cover cavitation is fairly common, may have been the casting process, may be heat related.

Looks to me like maybe some of that casting somehow got in that oil, -or- engine was ran with little oil in it and got a little on the warm side. The scuffing on the cylinder wall indicates lack of lubrication.

Serious lack of lubrication plus it got warm. I've had to changed the oil pan on our 4.7 in our Jeep. Everything was clean and shiny. NO visible wear in the bores. Valve train is also clean no sludge and very little wear on the cams. 200k+ miles with 5w30 and 5w20. It was back spec'd in 09. Same bearing part numbers and oil pump. Plus she regularly pulls 19 mpg mixed. They're GREAT motors and worth rebuilding if the cylinders aren't trashed too much or the water pump casting isnt too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back