How do i hook up my new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears my 19" Trinitron (1600x1200x85Hz) I got for free has gotten to the point where it is not able to be used; I asked around @ work for a free monitor, but nothing so I decided just to spend the $139 and get a Samsung 24"

Picked it up and plugged it in and nutin'. I have Intel HD 4000 graphics and a DVI out, which I used a convertor cable to go to VGA. Do I now need to used a DVI to DVI to get the full widescreen, or could that be confusing the monitor? I don't even get the BIOS screen when I turn the computer on. Ubuntu 13.10 I believe

I plugged in my old 17" Triniton and booted my machine and Ubuntu drives the monitor fine.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm a giant dodo when it comes to recent PC technologies.

Last edited:
I think the DAC on the video card is what would limit the analog (VGA D-sub) video resolutions. I'm not sure what the max would be for that particular card, but there'd certainly be no harm switching over to a DVI cable (they're pretty cheap nowadays!)

Should be less eye strain too if you're running at a high resolution that taxes the old analog circuitry.

Is the monitor on auto signal detection or manual, if it's manual try changing the settings to see if it's set to the correct input. Also, is the monitor powered on correctly, some monitors have 2 power switches, one is a button in the front, and one is a switch type in the back.

Last edited:
VGA cable does limit resolutions, yes. You need to stick with DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort if possible.

If your new monitor has DVI input then use the DVI output from your computer directly.

As Towncivilian wrote, VGA supports 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1080 just fine, resolution is not the problem there. But I am surprised you found a new consumer LCD monitor with 1600 x 1200 native resolution.

Guys, I picked up a true DVI cable and am now running 1920x1080. Thanks for all the responses; I am a happier BITOG'r at this point.

Thumbs down to Staples for driving EVERY monitor off of the display of one PC; That PC had a much lower resolution and as most people know, flat panels really only display one resolution well; I told the sales guy there was no way I would buy a monitor that looked like the demo, until he mentioned the 14 day return policy.

I will be positioning my new 24" ($139) on my desk and putting my 17" CRT ($699) into storage. The 19" is going to the transfer station.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
But I am surprised you found a new consumer LCD monitor with 1600 x 1200 native resolution.

He wrote that it was his old Trinitron CRT that supported 1600x1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back