Two kinds of purolators? Sizes? (many ?s in one thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The $5 filter I believe has a lot more filtration media and maybe a finer pore size.

2. I am using an oversized on my F150. It specs a Motorcraft FL1A, but I am using the 1.5-inch-longer FL299 version (for older F700 trucks). In this case, one filter company told me the smaller flows 4 gallons per minute, whereas the longer flows 7 gpm. Be sure the thread sizes and gasket diameter are the same. Also check whether there is an antidrainback valve, bypass valve, etx. Only site I know that gives gasket diameter is Wix.

3) MOVED TO GENERAL FORUM
grin.gif

4) Or put a Fram in a Purolator box and you don't find out until you get home. I just bought a Fleetguard from a truck dealer and it came totally encased in plastic wrap. I heard that in the olden days of no hood latches, a punk (old type punk, not punk rocker) stealing your battery would get the added kick of dumping a handfull of sand or dirt down the oil filler neck.

Back to oil filters, there was a guy posted about testing antidrainback valves in the store. He would pull the filter out of the box and blow into the center hole to see if air leaked out the valve. Hmmmmm, I suppose you could get a filter full of spit, with maybe some leftover pretzel pieces.
shocked.gif

One is the normal fitler and one is the Pure One. The Pure one has more filter area, smaller pore size and a silicone ADBV.

-T

I went to Advance Auto last night and saw two different types of Purolators... one white ($3) and one blue ($5). I read the boxes and didn't get much info. Aside from color, they looked identical. What's the deal?

Also, what's the deal with people using "oversized" filters I hear about? Is that just screwing a deeper filter on? Is this an improved flow issue?

Where do babies come from?

Why aren't oil filter boxes sealed? Some kid with a messed-up sense of humor could go into an auto parts store and put stuff in a filter that could harm the vehicle, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back