Information on HiFlo Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so here's my question, what do you guys think of these filters and have you been able to find any technical data about them?

I recently came across these filters that are manufactured primarily for power sports equipment that will fit my Yamaha street bikes, found the proper part number, but can obtain little to no information about the oil filter specifications (beta ratio, filter media, material the anti-drain back valve is made from, etc.). So I emailed them in the hopes of obtaining the information and received this reply:

"Here are the dimensions of the filter (in mm). Unfortunately we do not have detailed statistics that I can share with you. I would recommend that you visit our web site, as all of our filters are application specific and are not warrantied for off application use.

Under our catalog section you can look up your bike and find the recommended filter."

The reason I ask is because I only use Wix filters and get them for a great deal, but am able to get these filters for roughly half the cost through a friends business, BUT, I'm more than willing to pay the difference in price if the filters are sub-par to Wix. Has anyone else had any luck finding information or can vouch for the company? Here are some of their stats from their website:

"To achieve our quality aims and to ensure the consistency of our products, we use only premium materials from well known manufacturers: steel from Toyota Tsusho and NKK Japan, glue from Henkel Germany, filter paper from Ahlstrom Filtration Finland, Hollingsworth & Vose USA and Awa Paper Japan."

They've been in business since 1955 and are regularly audited and verified independently by TÜV SÜD. I've also seen them sold at Cycle Gear and many motorcycle repair shops if that says anything about their reputation.

Last edited:
Been using them for some years in maxi-scooters and for last 2 1/2 on my Can Am.
Many, many users in the Can Am world, some of which are skilled technicians who
proclaim them to be top quality. This is all opinion, but I wouldn't put them in
my $25K machine if I wasn't confident of them.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why risk it? How much do you save per year if you buy the Hi Flo vs Wix?

I hear ya Andy636, that's why I'm trying to get everyone's views and any information I can to make a more informed decision before I consider switching brands. My oil and filter are changed every 3,000 miles, and can save me a bit of money. My Wix filter at O'Reilly's is nearly $13, I've been getting them for $8, but can get the HiFlo for just over $4 out the door through a friend.

Thanks for your voucher tc1446, much appreciated
wink.gif

98.7% efficient @20 microns multipass
Media is plain paper
The filters are made in Thailand not in the UK like their website might lead you to believe.

Last edited:
Been using them for 8-10 years, nothing has blown up yet. According to their info they make filters for some OEM's. i thought I read that they made k&Ns oil filters?

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Have you considered lengthening your oci? Much more savings potential there as well.

I've definitely considered it, but have shied away for a variety of reasons. Yamaha recommends an oil/filter OCI at 3,800 miles, so dropping the OCI by nearly 25% to decrease particle contamination, fuel dilution, and maintain the proper viscosity due to shearing with the shared sump I felt was was a nominal decrease in OCI. It's a higher performance bike (700 cc, inline four, five valve head, four carbs, higher compression, etc.), and after researching the UOA's for the Rotella 15W40 and seeing how well it fairs in a variety of motorcycle applications (and being JASO MA rated), my 3 qt. sump to change out will cost under $10. It's rolling over 40,000 miles with no issues what so ever and want to keep her running as so, with that said if I can't find any technical information about HiFlo I'll stick with Wix, but I find them to be an interesting company none the less, I'd just like to have some stats on hand to make a proper comparison you know?

I heard or read someplace that Hi-Flo makes the K&N motorsport application oil filters. AFAIK, they are good filters.

Filter changes are typically way too frequent. Unless you've got some serious deposits in your engine there is very little chance the filter is plugged at 4000 miles.
I run amsoil filters on my Harley for 10000 miles. And when I cut them open I see that they could run longer.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I heard or read someplace that Hi-Flo makes the K&N motorsport application oil filters. AFAIK, they are good filters.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Last Hi-Flo I used on my Spyder was identical to a K&N, right down to the red media.

I hear ya Keith_Stone, she's definitely my baby, might be an old one, but one none the less! lol

Thanks for the the stats Andy636, and I too noticed they're made in Thailand, but you're right, on the surface of their website it initially seems they're UK based.

While I don't know for a fact whether or not HiFlo provides K&N with their power sports filters, I did get a chance to compare them both at a local Cycle Gear and they look virtually identical, right down to the red filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back