Toyota Driveshaft Grease Reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Toyota 4Runner, and a 2006 Lexus GX470 that both call for the following grease for their driveshafts:

Spider Gear: Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2

Slide Yoke & Double Cardan Joint: Molybdenum disulphide lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2

I have one lincoln 1134 grease gun, and rather not have to buy another one, so is there a type of grease I can use on both, or is it best to get two different types. I would like to stick with Amsoil greases since I have an account with them, but am looking for a recommendation of what grease or greases I should use on my drievshafts. Both vehicles are daily drivers and may see light off roading a couple times a year.

Would it be bad to use
"Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2" for both, or

"Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease, NLGI #2(NLGI #2 - 5% Moly)" for both?

Mystik Hi-Temp: "Spicer Universal Joint Division of Dana Corporations has approved Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Greases (Code 665005002) as having met M-2006-J specification for Hi-Temperature Lubricant."

$3.67/tube at Walmart.

I've looked after the driveshaft on my Tacoma with just Amsoil's DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Grease for over 200 000 km's no trouble. If I remember correctly I had 9 grease fittings, a couple on the spider are hard to see, you have to know that driveshaft to find them all. I had even seen a few manuals get the number of fittings wrong.

I got the infamous Tacoma shudder, and it always went away if I stayed up on the greasing. I was told I didn't have to worry about the moly if I was consistent.

Last edited:
I'd look for this question on a 4Runner forum too, no doubt it's been hashed out.

I went through this myself, and bought two grease guns, as they are cheap enough from HF. Turns out I could not find the fitting for the (moly? non-moly?) one, so I haven't had to open up both. The Tundra's have a few quirks like that... At least on mine, the cardigan seems to lack the lube point.

Going off what I saw on the web: anything is better than nothing, and a great deal of them see nothing and go high miles.

I went through the Tacoma driveshaft research about 2 months ago. I settled for Mobil-1 grease, which is lithium based.

You don't want to use Moly for driveshaft needle bearings, so I'm told.

My truck slip joints are sealed, so I cannot grease them. Otherwise, I've read that Moly based is the preferred grease for those.

I would prefer having 2 grease guns and two cartridges, just to make life easier. A decent gun is $18. I don't think either is a one-size-fits-all. I would make the investment in 2 types.

Last edited:
This topic has been indeed discussed quite a bit on the Toyota forums. The two primary types of grease are chassis and bearing. I personally just use a good moly based grease that is rated GC-LB meaning it is good for both.

Last edited:
If you look at the sticker on the driveshafts of your Toyotas, you will discover they are Spicer units, or a least they are on our 2003 Tundra 4x4 and our 2008 Tacoma 4x4. Now, look back on Ramble Jam's post. I use the same grease he does for the same reason he uses it, plus it is Lithium Complex NLGI #2, thus meeting the Toyota specs. Our Tundra also has a double-caradan joint and I use Amsoil LC #2 with 3% moly on it. I, along with many others will not use moly grease on U-joint spiders because of bad experiences with moly grease on spicers (Ford 4x4's)in the past...and yes, I know some GC-LB certified greases contain moly...
If I were to choose only 1 grease from the 2 choices you give, I would go with the Synthetic MP #2 Amsoil and I'm confident that choice would serve you very well.

I went through this same issue for several years when I owned a 2000 Tundra. I ended up using LE 3752 http://products.lelubricants.com/item/nlgi-2/almagard-vari-purpose-lubricant-3750-3752/3752?&bc=100|1001|1003|1018x on all chassis (upper ball joints) and propeller shaft fittings. I will use it on my new Tundra as well...very good grease.

I think what is really important is just to grease the drive shafts on a regular basis, I see many many dry grease points on cars and trucks I work on every day. I grease the stuff on customers cars every oil change like we should. We use Delo EP # 2 or Castrol Multi Prupose grease but I'm sure just greasing is the most important.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this topic has been covered but my questions deal with another part of the driveshaft grease questions.

Service manager at Toyota said they do not sell grease for driveshaft. I got the impression the mechanics use what they have.

There is a document I think I saw on this forum regarding driveshaft grease, I also have a copy of document.

From review it seems ok to use Molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease NLGL no. 2 The service manager said it was important to use a grease with molybdenum.

I have no local access to greases that I believe are of quality I am looking for. I can get grease from other sources out of town.

The greases are Shell, Mystik(Citgo), and Mobil. The only differences involves the percent of Moly present in the grease. Between the three one of them has .75%, another has 3% and the other one has one percent .

So what is the significance of the amount of moly in the grease?

Last edited:
Molybdenum disulfide does seem to be popular for driveshafts, especially sliding splines. Honda motorcycles use Honda Moly 60 Paste which is 60% molybdenum disulfide. I have a tube that I use to lube miscellaneous stuff using a brush, but the container is a small-size grease gun cartridge.

I see numerous Toyota trucks with nearly 200,000 miles and on factory driveshaft parts, and the grease used was whatever the quick lube used at the time. I often find that greases from quick lubes don't even have moly.

Anyway, I just use Valvoline Durablend everywhere and never have a problem.

I have almost 300,000 on my 91 4runner I have owned since new and just greased everything with a lithium based grease. never any issues. My friend is a master mechanic at toyota and he said that is what they use.

Schaeffer's aluminum complex base grease with 3% moly has worked fine on my Tundra's 8 drive shaft grease fittings for the last 100,000 miles. I'll let you know the long term results.

I think the concern with moly in needle bearings relates to the quality of the preparation of the moly particles used in the grease. Any top brand is likely fine.

Do keep in mind that the thickener (base) of the grease is a different consideration from the additives (moly, etc.) in the grease, and also the oil (conventional, syn, blend) in the grease. The base is kind'a like a sponge to hold the oil. The additives enhance the grease. Lithium grease and moly grease are not mutually exclusive. There are many lithium base greases with the moly additive.

Moly is great in heavily loaded slow moving joints. The splines of a driveshaft have slow relative motion (just the sliding) and high loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back