The Pontiac Vibe's spare donut is good for 3000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 50 mile limit I thought was for drivetrain damage.

most donut spares are good for 3000.

If you load your car up with four donuts there won't be any differential wear.
laugh.gif

I always wondered about using a pair of doughnuts if I got into drag racing, on the non-drive axle.

Originally Posted By: supton
I always wondered about using a pair of doughnuts if I got into drag racing, on the non-drive axle.

I have heard of people using the donut wheels mounted to skinny tires on the front of drag cars. Can't recall hearing them actually using the donut tire.

Be very very careful here.

First, there is a thing in engineering called "fatigue". It's the property where things fail at lower levels of stress due solely to the number of cycles that thing is put through. (look up "material fatigue" in Wikipedia - recognizing that a rolling tire is the poster child of a cycling load)

Second, because "stress" is ONE of the things that causes tires to fail, one could get a wide range of results.

And lastly, I know for a fact that both the donut tire and its wheel are designed with lower factors of fatigue. They both aren't designed to the same level as regular wheels and tires.

OK, just one more: My experience in writing warnings and advisories is that no matter how strongly something is worded, there will be someone who just will not get the message. So it should come as no surprise than sometimes some folks get considerably different (and apparently contradictory) results.

Once about two, three years ago I was in a gas station and a guy had two donuts on his car. He was just pulling out into the street when I saw it, I always wished I got a pic of that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you load your car up with four donuts there won't be any differential wear.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Be very very careful here.

First, there is a thing in engineering called "fatigue". It's the property where things fail at lower levels of stress due solely to the number of cycles that thing is put through. (look up "material fatigue" in Wikipedia - recognizing that a rolling tire is the poster child of a cycling load)

Second, because "stress" is ONE of the things that causes tires to fail, one could get a wide range of results.

And lastly, I know for a fact that both the donut tire and its wheel are designed with lower factors of fatigue. They both aren't designed to the same level as regular wheels and tires.

OK, just one more: My experience in writing warnings and advisories is that no matter how strongly something is worded, there will be someone who just will not get the message. So it should come as no surprise than sometimes some folks get considerably different (and apparently contradictory) results.

There are a few of them on ebay. They appear to be constructed like real tires. Just with a bit less tread.

My two donuts are TXXX-XX-D15 or TXXX-XX-D16 and these are TXXX-XX-R15

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Once about two, three years ago I was in a gas station and a guy had two donuts on his car. He was just pulling out into the street when I saw it, I always wished I got a pic of that.

Some years ago, I got a call from a friend of mine; he was stranded with two flat tires, in the middle of nowhere. He'd run over something bad! I loaned him my spare so he could get home. It sure looked silly since they were both on the same side! I too wish I'd taken a picture.

The farthest I've ever driven on a donut spare was about 30 miles. Even that made me nervous. Most of them are not supposed to exceed 50 mph. That would make e fearful of using them as skinnys on a drag car.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
The farthest I've ever driven on a donut spare was about 30 miles. Even that made me nervous. Most of them are not supposed to exceed 50 mph. That would make e fearful of using them as skinnys on a drag car.

I've noticed they whine a lot. Had to drive on one once.

I once put 700 miles on a donut spare on my way back from Florida. I HAD to be back home by end of day next day for work reasons. No time to buy a new tire.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Donut spares, you say?

OMG that's the first thing I think about when it comes to donut tires! I was waiting for someone to bring it up itt.

Originally Posted By: supton
Then your car will always be going downhill; win win!!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy

I've noticed they whine a lot. Had to drive on one once.

My volvo's made an airplane noise. The tread blocks were all the same size/shape and no effort was made in cutting noise. In fact they probably did that on purpose to annoy the driver.

I could mitigate it... was on the driver's side... by driving ON the yellow line(s) of two-lane roads. But then it got annoying again when I hit a passing zone.
wink.gif

21 years old, though, it held air!

The one I drove on was a Honda Accord. The drive was afraid to drive on the donut spare, so I had to drive on the donut spare. It had oddly shaped blocks.

The one on my parents Focuscape seems to have tread and sipes like a real tire! It also doesn't limit to 50 miles (nor does my focus).

Still trying to figure out why ford included a Donut on AWD vehicle (their 2013 focuscape AWD). Can't fit a full size spare in either ..

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: dparm
Donut spares, you say?

OMG that's the first thing I think about when it comes to donut tires! I was waiting for someone to bring it up itt.

Does that guy take enunciation lessons from Jeremy Clarkson? What a rip off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back