I think my Power Steering pump is going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the last couple months I'll get a strange whining noise around 60-70 MPH, but as soon as my foot comes off of the gas it stops. I'm not sure if this is related, but within the last 2 weeks when I accelerate from 0 to 35 or so I'll get a high pitched whine that lasts for 3-10 seconds, and its driving me nuts. It also happens ALOT when I'm idling. My dad was looking at it with me this morning and noticed that the power steering fluid was quite low, so we added some and the noise stopped instantly. When I started it to go to work about 20 minutes later, however, the noise was back and lasted for about 3 minutes. Like I said, its not full time, but Im wondering if its all PS related. One other thing, within the last 3 days I've been smelling a sweet, almost rubbery smell through the vents. Related????? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Did you check for PS system leaks? Sounds more like a leak than the pump to me.

I had a small leak around my oil pan gasket that got all over my driveway so its hard to tell if there is anything else, but I'll look closer

Check the tension on your PS pump belt as well as all other belts if not a serpentine belt. My guess is that one of the belts is slipping. FWIW

Oldtommy

I would check the pump fluid again. It may have a leak or bad reservoir or something and be leaking out to cause the noise. If low fill it up again and start motor and see if noise goes away. If it does you have a leak somewhere.

If it uses fluid , it has a leak. find the leak and fix it. Pmps make all sorts of noise when they are run low. Sooner or later you'll need a pump when you run it
low once too many times It may very well have a loose belt too. Keep body away from the moving belt when diagnosing.
laugh.gif

Did you flush the power steering fluid? Some models have fine screens in the reservoir that get crud in them that reduces flow. The pump might be making noise because it cannot pull the amount of fluid it requires (very common on Dodge's). It's actually not that expensive ($35) to replace the reservoir and perform a complete power steering fluid flush.

Last edited:
if you're low on PS -check the hose clamps to the pump.
If they're worm-type clamps then just tighten them.

happened to me, squeals, low fluid - tightening them solved it.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Did you flush the power steering fluid? Some models have fine screens in the reservoir that get crud in them that reduces flow. The pump might be making noise because it cannot pull the amount of fluid it requires (very common on Dodge's). It's actually not that expensive ($35) to replace the reservoir and perform a complete power steering fluid flush.

I was having similar problems as the OP except my fluid level was fine. I replaced the resevoir and all is good now. This was on the 2001 in my sig. My concern with the OP is his fluid was low. You have a leak, fix it and I will bet the problem is solved. Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back