Need Opinions On Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Update:

Looks like the issue wasn't an oil leak after all. Shortly after the last post the smell came back stronger than ever( worse actually ). Still no spots on the ground and it didn't increase the amount that was disappearing but good lord did it smell. Almost had my eyes watering.

I finally got it to a mechanic and it turns out a piece of plastic tubing of some type, that had been broken off in the past( must have been fixed because nothing is broken and no CEL or anything ), had worked it's way to the exhaust manifold and was actually burning/melting and that was the major part of the smell. Once that was removed and finished burning off the smell is almost gone.

He gave the engine a good look over and said there are no leaks that he can see. What oil smell there is we can still notice is coming from the exhaust so it is burning a little. I am thinking about giving Auto RX a try now to see if maybe that can help with the internal consumption?

This vehicle was majorly ABUSED and NEGLECTED by my niece before my Sister got it. Could be all sludged up and maybe the rings are sticking? Can't hurt to try it anyway.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Final Update:

Looks like the issue wasn't an oil leak after all. Shortly after the last post the smell came back stronger than ever( worse actually ). Still no spots on the ground and it didn't increase the amount that was disappearing but good lord did it smell. Almost had my eyes watering.

I finally got it to a mechanic and it turns out a piece of plastic tubing of some type, that had been broken off in the past( must have been fixed because nothing is broken and no CEL or anything ), had worked it's way to the exhaust manifold and was actually burning/melting and that was the major part of the smell. Once that was removed and finished burning off the smell is almost gone.

He gave the engine a good look over and said there are no leaks that he can see. What oil smell there is we can still notice is coming from the exhaust so it is burning a little. I am thinking about giving Auto RX a try now to see if maybe that can help with the internal consumption?

This vehicle was majorly ABUSED and NEGLECTED by my niece before my Sister got it. Could be all sludged up and maybe the rings are sticking? Can't hurt to try it anyway.

Before spending any more money on an additive for cleaning motor oil saver is a di-ester and should clean just like esters do so adding something else may or may not help.
Run this interval out with the motor oil saver in the oil. Motor oil saver adds tbn too so no need to shorten the interval.
If you think ring coking is the cause of the consumption try a piston soak.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Leak-Engine-Stop-Leak-and-Top-Off/20512786

I have a Kodiak ATV the leaked from the transfer case seal around the the front drive shaft. The transfer case is lubed by the engine oil on many ATVs. I was too lazy to pull the front axle, diff, shaft and the case. I dumped this in the engine oil at the specified rate and the weep from the seal slowed then stopped over a period of a couple months.

The good news is I do not have to worry about my concrete floor in my out builing.......The bad news is I had shift problens in the wet clutch once this soaked in (yes, i am an idiot)
The shift problems went away with an Oil change to M1 high milage, and the leak has not come back.

Long story, short. It is the only additive I have ever used that I have more than feel good belief it worked......side effects be [censored].

I actually decided to give the Auto-RX a shot. Will be doing an OC and adding it on Tuesday.

Auto-Rx is in.
27.gif

Auto-Rx is in.
27.gif

Used auto-Rx on my BMW at two different times. Not sure I ever saw any change in anything. I did see deposits in my oil filters during the process. I still see deposits in my filter even today, 30,000 miles later. Therefore I am not sure it was really cleaning anything. However, there was no harm in any way.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Auto-Rx is in.
27.gif

Used auto-Rx on my BMW at two different times. Not sure I ever saw any change in anything. I did see deposits in my oil filters during the process. I still see deposits in my filter even today, 30,000 miles later. Therefore I am not sure it was really cleaning anything. However, there was no harm in any way.

Exactly my results.

No harm at all.

Matter of fact, nothing. Period.

But when you ask for a refund and are ridiculed you really learn about the character of the company...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Auto-Rx is in.
27.gif

Exactly my results.

No harm at all.

But when you ask for a refund and are ridiculed you really learn about the character of the company...

I agree, that was my experience with this ARX product also. IMO here is the problem with him putting ARX in this engine..
He already used a product produced by a reputable company that claims it addresses many of the same complaints.

If anything positive happens it cannot be attributed to either product now because the "test" is skewed.

Originally Posted By: Liqui Moly

Oil Leak Stop
DESCRIPTION
Rejuvenates rubber and plastic engine seals and reduces oil consumption via
the piston rings and valve guides; counteracts the
loss in viscosity of motor oils.
Puts an end to environmentally pollutant oil patches on the road and in the
garage.
PROPERTIES
- Prevents blue, smoky exhaust fumes
- Prevents leaks due to leaks at elastomeric seals
- Regenerates engine seals made of plastic and rubber
- reduces engine noises
- Prevents pollution of the environment due to oil
dripping from the engine
- Reduces oil consumption in gasoline and diesel engines

I'm telling ya the lubro-moly motor oil save works. And it's no more than 8 bucks at napa.
Unless the gasket is physically broken motor oil saver will cure it.
Nothing beats actual gasket replacement however if your just trying to nurse it along for whatever reason motor oil saver works.
Heck if it doesn't work I'll pay for the can myself,that's how confident I am with the stuff.
Nhhemi. Have you got a PayPal account. If it doesn't work I'll gift you the cost of the can.
When it does work please let the whole forum know please.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Auto-Rx is in.
27.gif

Exactly my results.

No harm at all.

Interesting.
So the stuff costs 30 bucks a bottle and comes with a guarantee yet if the product fails the company says you did if wrong and won't refund your money.
Great guarantee.
Motor oil saver costs less than 8 bucks and doesn't need a guarantee because it actually works.
In fact every thread I've seen posted that it's been added the poster states the leak had diminished or has stopped leaking all together.
I've never seen a thread where it was posted the user didn't see any improvement,which confirms my personal experiences.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm telling ya the lubro-moly motor oil save works. And it's no more than 8 bucks at napa.
Nothing beats actual gasket replacement however if your just trying to nurse it along for whatever reason motor oil saver works.
Heck if it doesn't work I'll pay for the can myself,that's how confident I am with the stuff.
Nhhemi. Have you got a PayPal account. If it doesn't work I'll gift you the cost of the can.

We are going to try this additive on my dads 06 Lincoln TC, 4.6 V8. My local NAPA ordered it for me and it will be in tommorrow morning. Should we change the oil and add it or just add it? And, what name brand oil and oil weight should we use?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

We are going to try this additive on my dads 06 Lincoln TC, 4.6 V8. My local NAPA ordered it for me and it will be in tommorrow morning. Should we change the oil and add it or just add it? And, what name brand oil and oil weight should we use?

Use the oil you'd normally use. Add the product when you change the oil, so it will be in the engine for the entire OCI, not part of it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Use the oil you'd normally use. Add the product when you change the oil, so it will be in the engine for the entire OCI, not part of it.

DP, my dad had always used whatever 5W20 was the cheapest. He just recently had an OCI done with bulk 5W30 PYB.
If it were mine I would use MS5K 5W20 but am just open to suggestions.

DP, my dad had always used whatever 5W20 was the cheapest. He just recently had an OCI done with bulk 5W30 PYB.

If he just changed the oil you can add it now. The only minor issue I see is if his car calls for 5W20 and he has 5W30 in the sump the motor oil saver will thicken up the oil a bit. IMO that is something I'd rather not do during the winter, by that's my opinion nothing more. It's a good product and probably the best of the stop leak products out there.

If he just changed the oil you can add it now. The only minor issue I see is if his car calls for 5W20 and he has 5W30 in the sump the motor oil saver will thicken up the oil a bit. IMO that is something I'd rather not do during the winter, by that's my opinion nothing more. It's a good product and probably the best of the stop leak products out there.

I will just advise him to to do a new OCI with a 5W20 of his choice so everything is good from the get go.
I have a feeling it will be MS5K.
grin.gif

Brand and grade don't matter. Especially in a 7 quart sump like the 4.6 engines have.
Motor oil saver increases the tbn of the existing oil due to the boron that's in it.
So my question to you is how many miles are on the oil already and what interval were you planning?
If you're close to the end of the planned interval I'd just add it in to the new oil. Treat the oil as prescribed by the directions. Iirc in a 5 litre sump I only added a single can and it almost completely stopped the rear main seal leak on my fix body mustang. The leak was bad enough that it under later the entire underbody.
If larger than 5 quarts I'd add 2 cans just to be safe but when in doubt follow the directions.
I'm serious about paying for the stuff if it doesn't work.

Brand and grade don't matter. Especially in a 7 quart sump like the 4.6 engines have.
Motor oil saver increases the tbn of the existing oil due to the boron that's in it.
So my question to you is how many miles are on the oil already and what interval were you planning?
If you're close to the end of the planned interval I'd just add it in to the new oil. Treat the oil as prescribed by the directions. Iirc in a 5 litre sump I only added a single can and it almost completely stopped the rear main seal leak on my fix body mustang. The leak was bad enough that it under later the entire underbody.
If larger than 5 quarts I'd add 2 cans just to be safe but when in doubt follow the directions.
I'm serious about paying for the stuff if it doesn't work.

Clevy, my dad has been dealing with this oil leak for awhile.
It stopped leaking after the current 5W30 OCI was done but just recently started again.
He took it to a local shop and they want $500-$700 to fix it. I suggested trying this Oil Saver additive after reading about additives most of the night and this morning. I don't like additives but suggested he try this first.
The NAPA dealer had to order it because he said he can't keep the usual stock on the shelf. That could be a good sign.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back