Honda Pilot vs Toyota 4Runner vs VS Toureg

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the Santa Fe its a no drama quality SUV i have two and have no issues.. the only problem is they are not cheap like they were before 2007
10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

My wifes Mercedes is full of drama and its two years old.
Being around cars and engines all day i dont like to be under the hood when im off.

Originally Posted By: ikolbyi
For those posts that keep saying snow tires and only snow tires....

The Highlander is presently fitted with these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%2FT-S+G051&partnum=27SR6GEOHTSOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2004&autoModel=Highlander%204wd&autoModClar=

and they have decent snow rating yet the vehicle can not grip the road.

And an Audi A6 sedan fitted with: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...mp;autoModClar=

has picked up the stranded family more than once in the same road conditions. Please stop mentioning snow tires because that is only one piece of the equation and not THE equation.

---and this example has been repeated 3 times with 3 different VW/Audi vehicles compared to the same Highlander fitted with 3 different types of tires.

Thank you.

All seasons tire snow/winter traction is relative to other all-seasons winter traction. The WORST winter/snow tire will be 10x better in winter traction over the best all-season in my findings on the same vehicle. That is why folks mention it.

For example people think the Conti ExtremeContact DWS is the cats meow even tirerack. Its garbage brand new compared to a below average winter tire that was on previously and more than half worn.

Good luck.

Honda and Toyota = VASTLY OVERRATED. They were never that great - we were just fed a line that they were so we bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Why limit yourself to those 3? There are plenty that would fit your bill:
Escape
Explorer
Flex
Acadia
Traverse
Santa Fe
CX5
CX9
Murano
Pathfinder
Sportage

I'd skip anything Dodge/Chrysler.

Honda would be my pick because the J35 motor has VCM to help with gas mileage. You can't go wrong with Toyota. Stay away from VW unless you lease or finance a diesel model. VW has had a good history with their diesel models. Their gasoline models are junk.

I would have initially said Mazda since the SkyActiv GDI system has been proven to be reliable, but the range of models that you have put against one another are not within the CX-5 range. The CX-9 would be comparable to the models that you are considering but it uses an outdated Cyclone V6 from Ford. I think Mazda will most likely phase out the CX-9 just like Subaru did with the Tribeca

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What about the Santa Fe its a no drama quality SUV i have two and have no issues.. the only problem is they are not cheap like they were before 2007
10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

My wifes Mercedes is full of drama and its two years old.
Being around cars and engines all day i dont like to be under the hood when im off.

Don't even get me started with Hyundai. My Mazda dealership sells Hyundai and Mazda. The sales guy said Hyundai are low quality "get what you pay for"

There's also a big lawsuit against Hyundai for overstating mpg just like Mitsubishi did years ago.

Hyundai isn't far off from being a Ssangyong

Subaru Forester, 3 kids in 2nd row, roof rack with storage for trips, plenty room in back for hockey gear. One note, mine came with "all weather", in heavy wet snow you will need snow tires. Near Syracuse or towards Watertown, [censored] you shouldnt consider anything but high end snow tires and chains in Watertown. 4 feet storms common. Not off roader tires.

Your mind seems made up for a VW or Audi, if so go for it. Most people I know buy Subaru not VW in northern PA...hint hint. The VW and Audis look pretty, but cost boat loads to maintain...and they need a lot of maintenace. We cant afford to breakdown in the middle of winter that frequently.

I test drove the Hyundai and was not impressed.
Nissan built quality for a while tanked but I am not familiar with there current offerings.

I took an informal survey from people in my area who drive the current and older model Toyota Highlander (sample size of 7) and the response are universal across the board: The Highlander is terrible in poor weather. I had a good laugh at the video posted above with the driver bragging at how well the Highlander drives in snow....when the road he was driving on had so very little of it.

Additional feedback I received on the 4Runner was 50/50 with pros/cons. From the responses it seemed the 4Runner tire selection was the key factor.

Honda Pilot appeared to have above average (60/40 pro/con split) responses with handling despite tire selection.

The redesigned Nissan Pathfinder was also brought up as a possibility but why is it so expensive? (at least the models they carry in my area). Would you pay over $40k for a Nissan Pathfinder when that put's it in the same price range of a Toyota 4Runner Limited? I can understand paying a few extra $ for body-on-frame construction, but when you compare the Pathfinder vs Pilot, the Pathfinder costs more. Is extra cost worth it? (about $5k more for Pathfinder vs Pilot when comparing features/options)

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
Subaru Forester, 3 kids in 2nd row, roof rack with storage for trips, plenty room in back for hockey gear. One note, mine came with "all weather", in heavy wet snow you will need snow tires. Near Syracuse or towards Watertown, [censored] you shouldnt consider anything but high end snow tires and chains in Watertown. 4 feet storms common. Not off roader tires.

Your mind seems made up for a VW or Audi, if so go for it. Most people I know buy Subaru not VW in northern PA...hint hint. The VW and Audis look pretty, but cost boat loads to maintain...and they need a lot of maintenace. We cant afford to breakdown in the middle of winter that frequently.

Most drivers in my area drive Subaru's, Audi's, BMW (with X-drive), Mercedes (with 4matic) or Ford/Chevy trucks. Next batch is Honda Accord, Toyota Camery, and mini-vans. The vehicles in ditches on the side of the road are almost always the Accord and Camery.

The VW is too small as well since I use this vehicle to bring to Home Depot/Lowes often. Took another look at it this weekend with a tape measure and car seats and ruled it out. Back to Pilot vs 4Runner and potentially now the Pathfinder.

In terms of reliability, I must be an anomaly with VW/Audi, after 17 years with the brand and 4 vehicles they have been good to me but they are small which is why the spouse car is something bigger. In terms of maintenance costs, the Audi dealer charges $146 an hour and Toyota charges $113 - some difference there and the parts costs are comparable unless I go aftermarket then the Toyota wins from my experiences in what I replaced. My local garage mechanic charges $95 for comparison. For those who are wondering where I specifically live, it is North-West NJ with driving in PA, upstate NY, and CT.

None of the above. Don't chose either until you've driven a '14 Grand Cherokee. The V6, Hemi, and Ecodiesel are all great in their own way.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
None of the above. Don't chose either until you've driven a '14 Grand Cherokee. The V6, Hemi, and Ecodiesel are all great in their own way.

My personal preference is the 2014 Dodge Durago but the primary diver did not like it. Must be the tranny since it is the same from Audi.
grin.gif

My current 2004 Toyota Highlander 4WD is fast approaching time to replace due to excessive maintenance costs (~$4,000 in last 8 months with 100,000 miles). Another Highlander is not being considered, one of the primary reasons due to consistent poor traction in snow and poor weather conditions (sneakers/tires worn: OEM Toyto Transpath A11; Michelin CrossTerrain; Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S). In comparison my VW Passat 4-Motion, Audi A6, and Audi Q5 never had an issue with the snow and poor weather conditions.

That brings me to my question - of the 3 being considered: 2014
* Honda Pilot EX
* Toyota 4Runner Limited
* VW Toureg sport (base model)

What do current and past drivers recommend?

What will this car be used for? -> Primary family hauler and cargo (both roof and up to 1,000 lbs towing). The VW has a negative tick in this space for having the smallest trunk capacity and lack of 3rd row of seats. 3rd row is not required, but nice to have for the 2 times a year they have been used in the Highlander. The vehicle will get its rims dirty with minor off roading, but nothing these 3 can't handle (Highlander was fine in the minor dirt and gravel roads it traveled). Light to moderate snow fall is the largest fear since the Highlander fitted with the 3 mentioned tires receives a failing grade in every category possible whereas my VW/Audi's never had a single issue. In fact, my Audi had to tow out the Highlander one time when the Highlander got stuck in 4 feet of snow and the Audi was fitted with Michelin OEMs. We live in the North-East.

You should check out the new Jeep Cherokee. Awesome SUV with a really advanced 4WD system. Early reviews are showing them to be excellent in the snow.

Last edited:
I love the new 4Runner. I spent a lot of time in a 2011. I really, really love it. So many cool features and great capability. I can easily see myself replacing my Silverado with one. However, for someone looking for just an everyday SUV, it might be too much "truck".

The Pilot is just a great all around vehicle. Quiet, comfortable, great all weather traction, and decent MPG.

I never bought into the Honda hype until recently. I am a Chevy guy. I've owned mainly "American" vehicles from all domestics. Cars, Trucks, and SUV's.

I am the GM of a car dealer. We DO NOT sell new Honda vehicles. ALL of my service techs choose to drive a Honda. The majority of their family members drive Honda's. Same for their friends. Ask for a recommendation... and it will be a Honda. These guys aren't your typical techs. They LOVE what they do and they are [censored] good at it. From Audi R8's and Lamborghini Gallardo's to old Blazers and Camry's.... they work on and modify all of it. At the end of they day, Honda is what they recommend to EVERYONE. Their confidence in the product is unbelievable.

Their confidence in Honda is why I bought our Civic Hybrid.

You can't go wrong with the Pilot.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Hope they all recommend sticks, no PS and no iVTEC 3.5's.
lol.gif

Honda hype comes from Accord/Civic/CRV which thankfully seem to avoid all the issues with the 4 cylinder. Seems like a 75(content)/25(unhappy) mixed bag on disappointment on the V6 models. I had beyond incredible experience with two mid 1990's Civics. Both trouble free over 200k+ miles and got their rep. Interestingly enough my wife feels like Honda is her out of college state of life and no longer has any desire to own any of their models.

I guess Acura is better on customer service. At 100k I complained power steering was hard to turn and they simply replaced it free of charge on my now 115k 2007 MDX.

The entire post reads like:
* VW Toureg - OUT

* Nissan Pathfinder - OUT (my neighbor dumped his Rogue this week with 40,000 miles on it because the AWD system got him stuck on 5 separate occasions and his Jaguar AWD never let him down in 9 years of ownership. Ended up buying a Subaru Forester as the replacement to the Rogue and never looked back.

* Honda Pilot - Leading contender but the AWD would be marginally better than the current Highlander?

* Toyota 4Runner - unsure, it reads like since this is a true 4x4 system and not AWD tire selection here has the greatest impact on vehicle stability and control in winter conditions?

About sum it up? If yes, then consensus seems the Pilot would operate better with four season tires than the 4Runner.

* Honda Pilot - Leading contender but the AWD would be marginally better than the current Highlander?

The Pilot's lockable VTM-4 system would (or certainly should) provide more go-traction than that of the Highlander, yes.

Here is some info on the VTM-4 system. It didn't get nearly as much press as Acura's SH-AWD, but it's an excellent system nonetheless.

http://mypage.siu.edu/jeepster/vtm4.html

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The Pilot's lockable VTM-4 system would (or certainly should) provide more go-traction than that of the Highlander, yes.

Here is some info on the VTM-4 system. It didn't get nearly as much press as Acura's SH-AWD, but it's an excellent system nonetheless.

http://mypage.siu.edu/jeepster/vtm4.html

Thank you for the interesting read.

If you're looking for plenty of interior room, ck out the Pilot. We luv our '12 LX, it ain't nuttin fancy but does the job. The factory tires aren't "winter", but it does aok in the snow. With a good MS like a REVO it would be a beast. Also the hydraulic PS feels great, but the 13's and later might have the electric.

The engine will fire on 6, 4, or 3 cylinders and yes there is noticeable vibration on 3, much less so on 4. But when you ck your mileage reading of over 19 mpg in winter you will smile. Our sales rep said many do not like the vibes but they don't bother our family drivers. And to repeat: tons of interior space.

We loved our 03 4Runner Sport, but the ride difference is noticeable. 180k miles and running strong, but traded due to creeping electical gremlins and paint issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back