Substituting Peak 0W-20 synth. for a 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, A friend's 2006 Acura RSX (not an S) 2.0L w/137K calls for 5W-20 on it's oil filler cap.
Do you think it's okay to use Peak 0W-20 synthetic?

I entered many relevant keywords in the search function before posting this question but no results dealt with my circumstances.

Thanks. Kira

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Any car that calls for 5w20 would be fine with a 0w20

Not always. Honda only allows for 0w-20 in certain 5w-20 applications.

The volatility is often much higher with 0w-20 than 5w-20, which can lead to more oil consumption and deposits.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Any car that calls for 5w20 would be fine with a 0w20

Not always. Honda only allows for 0w-20 in certain 5w-20 applications.

The volatility is often much higher with 0w-20 than 5w-20, which can lead to more oil consumption and deposits.

13.8% vs 11.7%

Interesting to know that in 2006 they went with 20w. My friend has a 180k 2005 RSX Type S and it calls for 30w. Still doesn't use a drop.

To your original question, I am on my 2nd run of M1 0w-20 in my 2008 Pilot with zero consumption or any (noticeable) detrimental effects.

Hello Chris, Let me tell you what I learned about what you commented on.

The "non-S" model-on the 2006, at least-has 5W-20 embossed on its oil filler cap.

The Amsoil site offered a choice between a K2071 or K20A3 engine.
The 5W-30 was the recommended oil for the first engine listed, 5W-20 for the second.
ERGO: Your friend has a K2071 engine.

SARCASM DEPT: Try to get the engine designations from the parts monkeys at a dealership (Park Ave. Acura in Maywood, NJ); what obstructive clowns.

REALITY DEPT: You'd think these jerks earned a cookie each time they snowed a customers. Do they really think the boss will ever take them to dinner?

QUESTION: Does anybody know where to learn about the basics of an '06 Acura RSX non-turbo? There's no Haynes manual for this vehicle. I need to know where the VVT control valve is located. It's likely clogged with dirt.

Thanks to all 8 of you guys for your responses. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back