Ramp Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave my auto ramps to a neighbor with two young sons and a small budget.

Need to buy new. I should probably get polymer ramps again. What's the new tech on ramps?

I'm interested as well
I was just going to do 16k Rhino Ramps @ AAP + Code; to play it safe
But.....
Maybe there's better
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I'm interested as well
I was just going to do 16k Rhino Ramps @ AAP + Code; to play it safe
But.....
Maybe there's better
confused.gif

I've got those and can't complain.

I have rhino ramps and theyre ok. On low performance cars they can grab the lower air dam or underside of the front bumper.

So you might want to consider cutting some wood at a very small angle and making nice, long ramps or a front edge.

IIRC HF sells US made metal ramps, and with 20% off, they may be a great deal. The nice thing with metal vs plastic is that you can nest one inside of the other, and take up a lot less space.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Are the new Rhino ramps less prone to slide on smooth concrete?

'fraid not

Quote:
.... IIRC HF sells US made metal ramps, and with 20% off, they may be a great deal. The nice thing with metal vs plastic is that you can nest one inside of the other, and take up a lot less space....

Called Ultra Ramps and I've owned a set since the late 90's. One caveat is for the Ultra Ramps to work properly with lower profile vehicles is the separately sold extender set designed for Ultra Ramp is needed. Afaik, can't be purcahsed at HF and buying online can be pricey, last time I checked almost as much as the ramps themselves. The extenders are actually of benefit for use with all vehicles and I'm glad I purchased them not long after I bought the ramps. Much less expensive back then.

If I ever buy another set, the 16k Rhino's would likely be my choice now though. Afaik but not positive, they have added skid pads to both ends of the ramp now.

Rhino. But why 16K ramps? I think mine are 12K.

Rhino also replaced mine for free when I attempted to back over one sideways and must have pushed it along. I did not see it. I would not attribute that to the ramp quality however.

I have rhino ramps and they work good. They slid a bit and ive only used em once but it got the job done. Paid under 30$ for them.

I had the slipping problem with mine. I only used them on a Saturn ION, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Pontiac G6, and my Mitsubishi. I think the real problem is that FWD cars, and part time AWD cars move the ramps around because of the torque applied to the tires. Maybe if I have to do stuff with a RWD car, I can tell you if that is the case.

For slipping I wounder if wonder if getting a 6" head start up the ramp would help? Not blasting at 60 MPH up the ramp, but just a little bit more than nursing it up the ramp.

Last edited:
I must be lucky, my Rhino ramps haven't slipped on the garage floor, or on the black top driveway.

Wow - I have been off and on surfing the web about ramps since I started this thread. Amazing some of the issues with various ramps. Thank goodness I didn't come across any injuries. But tons of drive over and ejections and failing at way UNDER the rated capacity. Really surprised me!

I may get Rhino, but I would never, ever use them on smooth concrete without a mat underneath them. The problem that bugs me is that Rhino knows this is a weakness, yet has done nothing to remedy the problem.

The Race Ramps are very nice. The two part units are SWEET. But wow, $240, they should be! The 40" units are $140, but they look short and steep. Maybe it's just an illusion.

Magnum Ramps appear to be junk.

The RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramps are interesting to me. They appear different than other Rhino ramps.

My rhino ramps haven't slipped on smooth concrete or blacktop, but I would go for the metal ultra ramps with extender myself. And, in fact I'll probably pick up,a pair.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My rhino ramps haven't slipped on smooth concrete or blacktop, but I would go for the metal ultra ramps with extender myself. And, in fact I'll probably pick up,a pair.

The way it's almost bipolar on the slipping I wonder if Rhino used different material for the feet. All I can say mine were like ice skating inside my garage, you could just slide them with a few ounces of force. They were just OK on my back pad which is rougher/more weathered and with proper technique didn't just skid or worse shoot through and under. My neighbor knows to only use them outside. And I'm sure they would not slip on blacktop.

Anyway, is this what you are mentioning: http://www.autoramps.com/ultra_ramps.htm

... The Race Ramps are very nice. The two part units are SWEET. But wow, $240, they should be!...

True that, very sweet low profile ramps indeed....and a price to match!

Quote:
The RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramps are interesting to me. They appear different than other Rhino ramps....

Based on the Rhino Gear 11912 number listed at Amazon and Advance, those are the 16k Rhino Gear ramps mentioned in this thread. They are only $5 more than the 12k ramps at AAP and for the extra margin of safety and versatility, well worth the difference imo.

And some slippage is not limited to the Rhinos. Using the metal Ultra ramps on a smooth garage floor with a rear wheel drive vehicle, had similar experience. But going slowly never anything damaging/catastrophic. Never a similar issue though on front wheel drive.

Looking at what's now called 'Rhino Gear' ramps, I suspect that this is what emerged after Blitz filed Ch11 with the previously named Rhino Ramps made by Blitz.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The way it's almost bipolar on the slipping I wonder if Rhino used different material for the feet. All I can say mine were like ice skating inside my garage, you could just slide them with a few ounces of force. They were just OK on my back pad which is rougher/more weathered and with proper technique didn't just skid or worse shoot through and under. My neighbor knows to only use them outside. And I'm sure they would not slip on blacktop.

Anyway, is this what you are mentioning: http://www.autoramps.com/ultra_ramps.htm

Hmmm. Ive used them in my smooth concrete garage without issue too. Mine have a very gummy rubber pad under the front and rear. Its soft so I guess it compresses flat under load, and it does get chewed up...

I know they sometimes fall out. Wonder if the issue is that some folks lost theirs?

Yes, those are the ramps. The extenders are hard to find as was mentioned above, but with a 20% off HF coupon, the ramps could be had fairly cheap, and all four pieces will nest and store far easier and cleaner than rhinos or race ramps.

I also just posted about jackpoint jack stands. Might want to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back