battery date codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a super start battery with a date code of
03522eae 1487
how old is it?

if it says A1 I would believe it is Jan 2011 when it was made unless it has been around another ten years. This type date code has been used forever.

It's not an interstate I looked up Johnson controls stuff on google but couldn't find it after about ten minutes I figured screw it I'll ask on here. For some reason I'm not good at searching stuff I even searched on bitog and couldn't find anything.

Most newer batteries have a full date on them. I never quite got the date code thing. It was easy enough to figure out, but it didn't make sense that they couldn't just print the actual date.

I just bought a Super Start from OReillys and it had a date code sticker showing L13. I expect that was Nov or Dec 2013 as some brands skip the letter I.
The shocker was the $165 price before tax, more than twice the price for the same 94R battery purchased 3.5 years ago.

The Die Hard Platinum (EnerSys Odessey) I just bought has the FULL date written out (at least the month and year, i.e.; October 2013) on a sticker right on the top side.

I've never seen one with other than a code date, just picked up a Exide last month that has J13 on it...

When I bought the '98 Grand Marquis in Apr of '10 it had a OLD looking Motorcraft with B8 on it... Yep orig battery that was 12 years old...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The Die Hard Platinum (EnerSys Odessey) I just bought has the FULL date written out (at least the month and year, i.e.; October 2013) on a sticker right on the top side.

How are you liking the battery? I went all out and bought a 34/78 for my chevy truck and the specs are impressive. I'm phasing out "6 packs" for something better. I used a CCA battery tester on mines and it tested 1400 CCA @ 13.10V warm climate.

My opinion is that Odyssey makes an awesome battery.

Do note that if you drain it down deeply, they want a specific recharge regimen to return to full capacity, and that is 40% of the amp hour capacity( 40 amps for the 100 amp hour group 31) until 14.7 is reached. Hold 14.7v for 4 hours while amps taper then float at 13.7...

When not cycled deeply they do not require this regimen, but when cycled they will not live up to their capacity or claimed cycle life unless fed the above recharging regimen. I spoke at length with an Odyssey engineer about this.

Few vehicle charging systems will hold 14.7, few will drive for 4 hours. Few chargers meet this regimen either.

Hold 14.7 for 4 hours when cycled deeply.

It is an expensive battery to not recharge properly.

Most reports of premature Odyssey battery failure are by by those who drain them deeply, and think their alternator and their manly hi amp alternator and a 15 minute highway drive is all that is needed.

Sadly, this magical alternator as near instant recharger worldview will continue without check, and battery abusers will keep driving up the price of batteries insisting their warranty be honored.

I bought an Odyssey of ebay 5 years ago. it was a local buy. Brand new battery that had been sitting in a shed for two years, never used. Dead as a door nail. Went through two Illinois winters.

It would barely take a charge and the voltage ran really high with low amps. It took about 4 days and then the amps started coming up and the voltage dropping.

I still use it. I have an industrial charger that has a equalize setting that will over drive the voltage for 4 hours then drop to float charge.

But the initial 4 day charging was done with a cheap 2/10 amp charger.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
My opinion is that Odyssey makes an awesome battery.

Do note that if you drain it down deeply, they want a specific recharge regimen to return to full capacity, and that is 40% of the amp hour capacity( 40 amps for the 100 amp hour group 31) until 14.7 is reached. Hold 14.7v for 4 hours while amps taper then float at 13.7...

When not cycled deeply they do not require this regimen, but when cycled they will not live up to their capacity or claimed cycle life unless fed the above recharging regimen. I spoke at length with an Odyssey engineer about this.

Few vehicle charging systems will hold 14.7, few will drive for 4 hours. Few chargers meet this regimen either.

Hold 14.7 for 4 hours when cycled deeply.

It is an expensive battery to not recharge properly.

Most reports of premature Odyssey battery failure are by by those who drain them deeply, and think their alternator and their manly hi amp alternator and a 15 minute highway drive is all that is needed.

Sadly, this magical alternator as near instant recharger worldview will continue without check, and battery abusers will keep driving up the price of batteries insisting their warranty be honored.

THIS^^^ is why I've 'invested' in one of THEIR "Optimizer", Odyssey specific, but Schumacher built, chargers with pre-programmed charging algorithms for this battery ONLY.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

How are you liking the battery? I went all out and bought a 34/78 for my chevy truck and the specs are impressive. I'm phasing out "6 packs" for something better. I used a CCA battery tester on mines and it tested 1400 CCA @ 13.10V warm climate.

It's GREAT so far!
thumbsup2.gif
(It also replaced a Red Top.)

Between this and the new starter, this thing starts INSTANTLY, even in this < 10* F weather with 5W-40 still in the sump (changing it out as soon as it gets warm enough to not be frostbitten during change
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Most newer batteries have a full date on them. I never quite got the date code thing. It was easy enough to figure out, but it didn't make sense that they couldn't just print the actual date.

Johnson Controls seems to use a numeric month/year format, for example 3/13

East Penn / Deka seems to prefer the traditional letter and single digit year format, for example C3

Not sure what date code format Exide is using... it is rare to see one of their batteries around here ever since Wal-Mart and NAPA dropped them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back