Decent H11B bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sedona (and other Kias as well) use the H11B for low beam. Looking online, I haven't found any decent upgrade bulbs in this size, other than a blue-coated Eiko branded bulb. it seems that even the factory replacements are hard to find in stores. The van has projectors, and I hear that HIDs look good with a nice cutoff in them. Decisions...

Stick with halogen bulbs, not HIDs. The optics of halogen vs. HID projectors are different. HID projectors spread the light over a very wide surface area (lots of light distribution). This is so they don't overload the center of the beam with too much light. Halogen projectors focus more light into the center of the beam. This is so they meet the miminum required beam intensity in those measurement spots. If you retrofit an HID source into a halogen projector, your cutoff will likely appear to be the same, but the center of your beam and likely your foreground as well will be overloaded with light.

I think you can switch to standard H11 bulbs if you change the connectors in the wiring harness. Why any manufacturer is using a non-standard headlamp bulb baffles me.

There are several threads about converting to H11 on Hyundai forums. I am considering HID as well. With enough HID cutoff pics in your model I would consider it.

I am new here and also a new owner of a 2013 Kia Optima. No big complaints about the lighting on the Optima, just looking for more of a white light. I know what is said about blue coated bulbs, but as already stated, there are not many options for the H11B halogen bulbs. I did find these and are wondering about the quality.

http://www.formula-j87.com/servlet/the-4554/%28H11B%29-55W-Halogen-Headlight/Detail

I have heard horror stories about no name bulbs not being labeled right, being higher that 55w (which I believe is factory rating) and melting housings. They also carry matching H8 bulbs which fit the foglights. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted By: TAvsGN
Any thoughts?

Avoid those bulbs at all costs. They are simply blue-painted Chinese bulbs that will produce less light than the ones you have in there now and probably half or a third of the life. And although you have no guarantee of poor material and manufacturing quality here, I'd say it's probably a safe assumption that it'll come with the deal.

I recommend buying bulbs only from first-tier bulb manufacturers, like Osram/Sylvania, Philips, GE, etc. Many (like PIAA and EiKo) are simply bulb "labelers", putting their names on others' bulbs. Maybe they're good quality, maybe they're not. With a true no-name bulb like what you are considering above, you have nothing to gain.

If you have to have a blue-coated bulb, I would recommend the Sylvania Silverstar. Your lighting performance won't be any better than it is now, and you'll be paying quite a bit more for a bulb that will likely burn out sooner, but at least you know the material and manufacturing quality will be good.

Right now, only name brands I can find that make the H11B are Eiko and Sylvania. Sylvania only makes a regular bulb, nothing in Silverstar or Extra Vision. Wagner too I believe, but only a regular bulb.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My Sedona (and other Kias as well) use the H11B for low beam. Looking online, I haven't found any decent upgrade bulbs in this size, other than a blue-coated Eiko branded bulb. it seems that even the factory replacements are hard to find in stores. The van has projectors, and I hear that HIDs look good with a nice cutoff in them. Decisions...

Grab a set of these adapter harnesses and then you can run a regular H11 bulb which has tons of options.

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/h1toh11bucoh.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back